Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12ga slug kick vs. 20ga slug kick >

12ga slug kick vs. 20ga slug kick

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12ga slug kick vs. 20ga slug kick

Old 09-03-2005, 09:01 AM

Default 12ga slug kick vs. 20ga slug kick

Hi all, thanks for the info and opinions in my past posts. I have all but decided to go for the HR Tracker II slug gun based on my hunting scenarios and the nice price. I am wondering, however, what the kick will be like in each guage for a light little gun like this. I have shot 12ga shells and slugs, .22's, .30-.06. What will each compare to. I had originally thought I would get the 20, but the lure of being able to mount a turkey barrell on the same gun for such a low price is calling my name. Thanks!
Old 09-03-2005, 09:31 AM

Default RE: 12ga slug kick vs. 20ga slug kick

As far as I can tell the trackers and pardner shotguns are not guage specific. They both use the SB1 frame and are interchangable in caliber. There is no reason I can see that you could not get a 20 guage slug gun, and later get a 12 gauge turkey barrel for the same reciever. The only thing you can't put on it are the heavy 12 gauge slug barrel and the 10 gauge barrels because they use a different reciever. I don't think you can put a centerfire barrel on it either.

As far recoil goes, well that is a pretty subjective matter actually. A lot of it depends on the particular rifle and the load you use. One particular 20 gauge might kick more than a 12 gauge depending on the model of the rifle and what shells were used in each. I have shot two different 30-06's side by side and they were completely different. One was quite managable to shoot, the other I hated.

And a lot of it depends on how you react to recoil. Like I have said before, I am small, like 120 ish and 5'3". I don't seem to have much trouble shooting most shotguns, muzzle loaders and non magnum centerfires. It just doesn't bother me that much. I think if you can shoot 3 inch turkey loads a slug is not going to be that big of a deal for you.

I got a shotgun simular to what you want when I was about 10 or so. I weighed around 80 lbs I bet. I shot 3 inch field loads out of it. It kicked like a son of a bitch! But nothing I couldn't take at that size. If I had to take a guess I would say they will not be a huge difference in felt recoil between a 20 and 12 in that rifle. They will both kick because of the weight. And it will depend on what loads you buy. You can get some 20 gauge shells with the same power of the 12's in some cases, and you can get some 12's that are loaded down to what a standard 20 guage would be.

Generalizing things in terms of felt recoil for me, I would say a shotgun with modern slugs kicks about like a 270/30-06 bolt action of moderate weight, maybe 7 or 8 pounds. However the recoil feels slightly different.

It is my understanding that the 20's have a slight edge in accuracy though, so I might go that way with the rifled barrel. Check with H&R first, but I'm pretty sure a 12 gauge turkey barrel will fit that reciever. And I will almost bet that any 12 gauge full power turkey load will kick more than a slug. And I'm talking 3 inch not 3 1/2 inch mags. Those will kick harder for sure. I shot a turkey load out of my H&R ultra just for the heck of it and it had more recoil than any of the slugs I have tried, and my gun weighs around 11 lbs. And in the field you will never notice any way. My buddy has a remington special purpose 3 1/2 inch magnum turkey gun. I don't care much for shooting it to be honest, it's a bit recoil than I like. However I took a crack at a turkey with it this season and didn't feel a thing.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 09-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

You could go with the 12 and buy Low Recoil slugs if it kicks to hard.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:54 PM

All I can say is, if you shoot 3" 12 ga magnum slugs out of a light gun it will knock the snot out of you unless it's an auto.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SuperMagnum

All I can say is, if you shoot 3" 12 ga magnum slugs out of a light gun it will knock the snot out of you unless it's an auto.
Even if it's an auto it's kick the crap out of you.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:19 PM

Yea true, but not as much as a pump or single shot.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SuperMagnum

Yea true, but not as much as a pump or single shot.
True, but when I'm laying on the ground in pain with a broken clavicle It's of little consequence that something kicks even more.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

the lure of being able to mount a turkey barrell on the same gun
Frankly I'd be happy with the 20 Ga.....FWIW I shot my turkey this spring with a .410
Old 09-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

20 gauge.. less kick ..maybe more accurate cause you wont flinch as you fire it.. good deer , turkey gun
Old 09-15-2005, 01:01 PM

Get a good recoil pad. I had a 12 guage that had more felt recoil with a 23/4 slugsthan a friend's 10gauge shooting 3 1/2 slugs.

Quick Reply: 12ga slug kick vs. 20ga slug kick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.