Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly >

Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Old 09-02-2005, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Well thanks for the feedback. I would like to use a bolt action rifle with a magazine that shouldnt be too hard to get off a second shot. The reason behind that is so I can use it for target practise too. Is the reason for no choke that the slug will destroy the barrel on a full choke? I might get the 12 gauge with slugs if the rifle is still not a good idea. how does this one sound? I heard a 30 06 is very powerful.

Remington 7400 Weathermaster
stainless, semi-auto 30-06

$689.99

I might be able to get together a few more bucks for a good gun.

The ammo for the 30 06 looks kind of pricey though.
Anyone try that golden bear ammo or whatever its called? Its really cheap, will it destroy the gun? Thanks, Cuchullainn.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

I would strongly suggest that you consider pepper spray. I'm getting the feeling that your experience with guns is very limited.

Spud
Old 09-02-2005, 11:20 AM

Pepper spray? The bear will probally tell me its built up a tolerance to it and pull down my pants and rape me. [&o]
Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Nice! Hope you find your happy place and that there are no bears to bother you.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

"$689.99

I might be able to get together a few more bucks for a good gun. "

Hey partner, if you can dish out $700 you've opened up a lot of possibilities for yourself! You can buy a rifle, weather it's bolt action or a lever -gun that can just about stop a griz in it's tracks!
You can buy just about any bolt action Winchester and Remington makes for close to that, in a caliber that will take down an elephant on an african safari.
You can also get a Winchester lever gun in the powerful 444 or 450 Marlin, or you can get a Marlin lever gun in either of these calibers, plus Marlin offers the 45-70 in theirs.

That is the route I'd recommend. If a griz is running at you a 30-06 WILL kill him, BUT a big bore lever gun or a shotgun will stop him faster (in my opinion) plus one of these will cost you $500 or less. And if you've never shot a lever action rifleyou will appreciate the speed at which you can sholder them and geta few good accurate shots off, and most of these big bore guns will hold at least 5 or 7 rounds.

Again I'd almost say, please don't get a semi-auto. You may be able to fire 1,000 rounds through it without a jam, and with some of today's quality guns you can exceed that but it will jam up at one point or another, and that time could be when that griz is coming at ya!

Old 09-02-2005, 06:46 PM

I still say you should get a shotgun. It won't cost you much but it can deal out more death in less time than any other rifle I can think of except say an M-60 on full auto. As a bonus you can use it to hunt with while you're out in the field camping. Just pop out the bear killer cartridge and push in a shell loaded with 6 or 7 shot and you got a bunny for dinner.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

They don't call the Remington 7400 "jam-amatic" for nothing.

Are you not listening to any of the advice we are giving you?

If you are buying a gun specifically for the purpose of being able to stop a Grizzly bear attack then forget about any gun chambered in a cartridge with a bullet smaller than .338 inches. This would start at the 338 Winchester magnum and go up from there.

Forget about a semi auto rifle. You can bet that if you need it to save your life it will jam up. You may have fired 10,000 rounds before hand but that one jam will be when the rare bear decides you are food. And besides that most do not fire a cartridge larger than a 300 magnum. While it is definetly a bear killing cartridge it is not a bear stopping cartridge.

You want a firearm that will throw large and heavy chunks of lead at the bear. This would include cartridges such as the 444 Marlin, 45-70, 450 Marlin, 375 H&H, 375 JDJ, 458 Winchester, and the 12 Gga shotgun firing slugs or large buckshot.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:55 PM

Ok thanks for your advice guys. I will look into a rifle at those calibers. If it was just soley for bear protection, I would get the shotty, nice and cheap. But I want to shoot oranges cans and maybe hunt a few things while Im out there.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Uhm, didn't you say?
Don't want to hunt grizzlys I just need a caliber that will drop one if I come across it while camping.
If you would have told us in the first place that you wanted it to also be used for big game hunting you could have saved a lot of typing.

Old 09-02-2005, 09:27 PM

No thats not what I meant. To stop a Grizzly and yes target practise and anything that is edible I will shoot cut up and eat at my campfire. I hunt for food, not big game in paticular. If I see a rabbit, if im a good enough shot I will shoot it in the head - saving the meat. Hopefully it wont be moving.

Quick Reply: Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.