Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly >

Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Old 09-01-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Don't want to hunt grizzlys I just need a caliber that will drop one if I come across it while camping. I was planning to buy an AR 15 but I will have to wait till later for that. Ive seen alot of new .22's for around $300 canadian but I will need a more powerful one. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:01 PM

Default RE: Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

I'm pretty sure the AR 15 and the .22's will do a great job stopping a grizzly in it's tracks. Shoot at him with one and he'll drop down and bust a gut laughing at you.
If you're going into griz country it's time for you to get serious and get more power. Nothing less than a .44 mag if you're planning on packing a pistol and no less than a .308 or 45/70 if you want a rifle. My personal choice would be a Rem 870 12 gauge loaded up with fat slugs and/or big buckshot. I'd also put an extension tube on it's magazine so you can load up on rounds. A shorter stock would be nice since if a griz is in your camp you're going to want to swing that gun around real fast without it getting hung up on anything. Don't question the mighty 12 gauge for it's power, anything that doesn't die right away from a hit is going to be hurting pretty bad and not in the mood for a second dose of medicine.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:05 PM

Ya thanks I noticed shotties are cheap forgot you could get slugs. I might go with that. We cant carry handguns to the woods so it will probally be a shotgun or a .308 rifle. We can only take our handguns to a firing range with lots of paperwork to fill out[:-]sux huh? lol
Old 09-01-2005, 09:13 PM

What do u think of this one? Im not familiar with its caliber. its unusually cheap, do u think its crap?
[align=center]Model:
SKS
[align=center]
Calibre:
7.62 x 39

Shots:

Note:
None Its$135.00
Canadian.[/align][/align]
Old 09-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm pretty sure the AR 15 and the .22's will do a great job stopping a grizzly in it's tracks. Shoot at him with one and he'll drop down and bust a gut laughing at you.
dang max who's gonna clean this monitor now[:@], i just spewed
Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 PM

O.k, you want the grizly dead. if you piss it off and it comes and chews you up you will wish you spent more than 135$ on a gun. But to answer your question more directly, no, i would not get an sks, in my expierience their accuracy is crap.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:16 PM

If you are on and absolute shoestring budget pick up a sporterized Lee Enfield .303, for a bolt gun they are very fast to operate and the ten round magazine can come in handy. By the sounds of things your are from the north country so they should be easily obtained. Load them up with 180grain bullets min, try and get your hands on some 200 grainers. Get a ghost ring type sight. This wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't be entirely uncomfortable with it either as I've personally seen it work.If you are looking for a serious bear defence take alookat the big bore lever guns like .444, 45/70 and 450marlin a shotgun loaded with slug is another option.Don't forget you are not hunting but trying to stop a charging carnivore. You will need something that will deal with that problem immediately and therfore you need a bullet that will have the power to penetrate and shut the switch off.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:24 PM
Typical Buck

How bout an NEF handi rifle. You can pick one up for under 200 bucks at most gun stores. They are really easy to use, cause the are a single shot break action just like a old shotgun. Plus you can get them in many calibers that will put the hurtings on bear. I would suggest the 45/70 government, 450 marlin mag. or the new .500 smith and wesson that they just added to the line up. These guns come up easy and feel great in the hands. I would higly recomend one, and they dont weigh as much as a big bore, bolt action.

Good luck and hope you dont become a pile of bear poo in the great outdoors
Old 09-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you want a gun that can stop a grizzly intent on eating you then forget about every single military style semi auto weapon you have ever seen (SKS, AK, AR, etc...). The cartridges are not designed to stop charging bears. They are designed to be human killers/ wounders and be light enough and small enough so that a soldier can carry lots of ammo.

The 7.62X39 isn't regarded as a good deer cartridge much less a grizzly stopper.

Forget about getting a semi auto rifle all together. The last thing you want is to get a jam when the bear is trying to eat you. Semi autos have a knack for not working in extreme cold weather and most semi autos can not handle a cartridge big enough to count on to stop a Grizzly quickly. There are a few exceptions but you are going to spend $$$$$$$ for one.

I would also forget about a single shot rifle. One shot is about all you would have time for before the bear got to you. Reloading is very slow in a stressful situation such as this. You have to break open the gun, fumble getting a cartridge in your hand and get it into the chamber and close the gun all the while trying to stay alive.

If the firearm isn't chambered in a .338 Winchester mag or larger then I wouldn't even consider carrying it to be used as a grizzly stopper. If 1000+ pound bear is charging me then I want to throw out the largest chunks of lead as fast as I accurately can.

Your best bet is a pump shotgun. They are simple to operate and operate fast, they throw huge chunks of lead or multiple smaller chunks of lead, they are as reliable as a gun gets and are very rugged, and they don't cost much.

Winchester makes a model 1300 defender that has an 8 shot magazine tube and a 18" cylinder bore (no choke) barrel and synthetic stocks. It should retail for under $300 US new. This would be my choice as it has a rotating bolt head that locks into the barrel (stronger design), holds two more shells, and unloaded is a full pound lighter than the Remington.

Remington also makes a shotgun that is very similar to the 1300 except that it only holds six shells in the magazine tube. It too has an 18" cylinder bore barrel and synthetic stocks. It's the bottom one in the pic.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:28 AM

The Marlin 1895G is the ultimate bear defense rifle. After a few modifications, such as a stronger extractor, some ghost ring sights, and a good sling, I dare you to come up with a better pound for pound bear stopper. You might even be able to find one of these fairly inexpensively if you call around looking for a used one.

Quick Reply: Need Cheap New gun that can drop a grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.