Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 mossberg 500A    is it a deer gun????? >

mossberg 500A is it a deer gun?????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mossberg 500A is it a deer gun?????

Old 08-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default mossberg 500A is it a deer gun?????

smooth bore ..can shoot almost anything.. sabots, slugs , rifled slugs .Im told that you dont have to get a slug barrel... just get closer!!! have a bushnell banner dusk and dawn 1.5-4.5x32mm wide angle on millett see thru mounts ridin on top of her. Will the old mossy do the job?... up close and personal im saying
Old 08-30-2005, 05:45 PM

Default RE: mossberg 500A is it a deer gun?????

Just get close & it'll kill deer.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can shoot slugs or rifled slugs.

You should not shoot sabots. The concept behind a sabot is that it makes contact with the rifling in a rifled barrel and imparts spin on the projectile inside to stabilize it in flight. Since you do not have any rifling this goal will not be accomplished and the bullet will begin to tumble and fly erratically shortly after leaving the barrel.

Both standard slugs and rifled slugs are designed to use natural aerodynamics to stabilize themselves. In the case of rifled slugs the design actually causes it spin as a result of its aerodynamics,(or more appropriately lack there of).

I would field test your gun to see what kind of accuracy you can achieve. I would espect you should be capable of consistantly hitting the vitals of a deer sized target out to 50-60 yds with this setup.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey jcchartboy....went on mossberg.com and they say that sabots are ok as long as you use the improvrd cylinder choke tube to allow for more open tube. this mossy i have has the accu-choke system can fire all steel shots. its about 3 years old does that make a difference in what you say or are you still right. sometimes we know more by using than by making.. Im with you, dig??
Old 08-30-2005, 06:22 PM

I agree, don't waste your money on saboted slugs for your smooth bore. They are expensive and most likely will not shoot very well any way.

My mossberg 500 is good for about 60-70 yards with rifled slugs. Some combinations are better, some are worse. Get a bunch and see what happens.

I don't know that I would waste my time with a scope on that set up. Especially one mounted to the reciever. It may not hold it's zero very well and surely will not if you remove the barrel to clean it. Not to mention I doubt the combination will be accurate enough to warrant it. See if you your beeds line up, or get some of the clamp on fiber optic sights for your vent rib. They work pretty well. Not that a scope would hurt, I just don't think you would need it in that set up.

If you want better accuracy spend 150 bucks on a fully rifled cantilever barrel for your mossberg. Some smooth bores shoot a slug pretty well though, you will just have to see.

Paul
Old 08-30-2005, 06:26 PM

We are not saying you can't, just that it doesn't work very well and is not worth the extra money sabots cost. You can get good rifled slugs for a couple of bucks a box, sabots will run you around 10 bucks and up. And don't even bother with the newer high tech faster stuff, I doubt it will shoot worth a darn out of a smooth bore.

Try some brenike's if you can find them. I hear great things about them. I used winchester rilfed slugs out of mine, worked fine.

I traded the mossberg in on a H&R slug gun though, works much better.

Paul
Old 08-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The fact is it can be done, that doesn't mean it isa goodchoice though.(sabots in a smooth bore). I don't believe it will provide better accuracy. With the cost of todays sabots there would be no sense in using them unless they weremore accurate.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr
I don't know that I would waste my time with a scope on that set up. Especially one mounted to the reciever. It may not hold it's zero very well and surely will not if you remove the barrel to clean it. Not to mention I doubt the combination will be accurate enough to warrant it. See if you your beeds line up, or get some of the clamp on fiber optic sights for your vent rib. They work pretty well. Not that a scope would hurt, I just don't think you would need it in that set up.

Paul

I think this statement depends completely on your ability to shoot open sites. If you are good with open sites it is absolutely true.
If you are not I would definetely go with the scope. Even receiver mounted scopes can be rather accurate on switch barrel gun when shot at close distances.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

you guys make good sense and im taking your advice...about that scope.. i used it turkey hunting and wow!!!! freezer is tight! my white and copper beads line up perfectly and ill try those tru glo sights. ill be removing that bushnell scope and place it and the millet rings on top of a new rifle most likely a marlin 336c in 35 rem good brush gun/medium range set up...no??
Old 08-30-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you are well aware of your guns capabilities. Therefore it should work fine.

As far as the scope goes, I personally would use it.
I was working on an Ithaca Deerslayer this spring with a receiver mounted scope. Even though the barrel fit somewhat loosely I could remove the barrel, then replace it, and the scope would be off less thanan inch at 50yds every time.

Quick Reply: mossberg 500A is it a deer gun?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.