Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now >

accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

Old 08-28-2005, 07:50 PM

Default RE: accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

i agree with boddington, if the manufacturers made more "out of the box" accurate MOA rifles then id have one less thing to blame my misses on. Pretty much what he is saying couldnt hurt.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:55 PM

I am not sure about the measurments and don't really care to keep up with them.

Just speaking from exp. I have and can take my Rem. 700, .270, shooting 130gr Winchester Ballistic Tips and put three bullets in the same hole, with the entire hole only being the size of a dime or smaller at 200yds.

Yes, It was measured with a range fider.
Yes, Its off a rest.
Yes the shots were back to back, with only about 3 mins for the barrel to cool.

If I can do this, I don't see why this rifle wouldn't be considered accurate. And no, no work done to the rifle, just right out the box.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Typical 700 Remington.IMO
Old 08-29-2005, 12:54 PM
bigcountry

Yep, typical internet report. Boy, I wish I was headin down to SC. I would like to put up say 5 bills on that report.

Old 08-29-2005, 12:56 PM

My 30-06 shoots under 2 inches at 100 yards and under 3 inches at 200 yards. I have never seen a deer that wouldn't fall to a rifle with a 5-6" group at 200 yards, so that is plenty good enough for me.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with first shot. I'm 30 years old now and learned to shoot and reload from my Dad & Uncle. In the 15 years I've been reloading and taking trips to the range I've seen a ton of so called great shots show up to zero their guns. They come with a 30-06 and a box of Core-Lokts. They put up a target and start shooting. They shoot at 25 yards and zero their guns and then move to 100 yards. They shoot a 3 shot group and if it isn't an inch they begin to say foul words and call the gun a POS! Over the years I've seen my Dad give a little help to these guys and shoot their rifles for them especially since we live in a small town he seems to know everyone. Anyway he shoot the rifle and maybe it shoots 1.5" and this was from their 3" group. My Dad shot benchrest for a long time and is an excellent marksmen. He has bought countless guns from shooters saying it won't group and in the end showed them that it was the shooter not the gun. We had a conversation about this a few weeks ago and in all his years 50+ he said he only had 2 guns that wouldn't group very well. #1 a post 64 model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win. and a crudely customized Mauser 30-06. He gave the model 70 away and redid the Mauser. It will shoot the eyes out of a hawk flying now. It's a 6.5-06.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

My 3 factory Rugers 2-77 Mk IIs and a #1 all shoot sub MOA some with reloads and some with factory ammo. I am very happy with their performance both my 300 WSM and .223 Both 77s shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: StrutnBPS

I am not sure about the measurments and don't really care to keep up with them.

Just speaking from exp. I have and can take my Rem. 700, .270, shooting 130gr Winchester Ballistic Tips and put three bullets in the same hole, with the entire hole only being the size of a dime or smaller at 200yds.

Yes, It was measured with a range fider.
Yes, Its off a rest.
Yes the shots were back to back, with only about 3 mins for the barrel to cool.

If I can do this, I don't see why this rifle wouldn't be considered accurate. And no, no work done to the rifle, just right out the box.
Hate to doudt someone i dont know but i would have to see that.and honestly i would bet against it.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:23 PM

As far as i,m concerned the guy whom hired him,out to go jump in a lake. Col. this and col. that i hear all the time.He should have stayed were he use to be.He is so wishy washy,and doesn,t know tiddley winks about what he,s talking about.IMHO. vangunsmith
Old 08-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many of today's rifles are capable of MOA accuracy especially with the quality factory ammo. Its takes allot of trial and error for an experienced reloaded to match or exceed the performance of today's premium factory loads. In reading posts on this and other message boards, it seems many will save and spend big bucks for a quality rifle than top it with cheap rings and poor quality scope and wonder why the rifle won't group. Save time and money, purchase quality the first time and stay away from the cheap stuff.

Quick Reply: accuracy of centerfire rifles.....be honest now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.