Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

peep sights

Old 08-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default peep sights

how well do peep sights work? and up to what distance?
Old 08-25-2005, 03:13 PM

Default RE: peep sights

I had one on my 10/22 and my mini 14. i really liked them for shot within 75 yards, but you get past that and i would rather have a scope.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:42 PM

As for open sights,the peep sights are the best. For these reasons. First off the sights are set up in the back of the reciever,which gives you a longer sight plane,which is more accurate than a short sigt plane llike with the sights in the barrel.Second reason is that the human eye automatically sights the front sight which is round,into the peep sight which is round.Thus 2 reason they are more accurate.Think of all the old buffalo rifles with the vernier peep sights on them!! Vangunsmith
Old 08-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-25-2005, 07:03 PM

It depends a whole bunch on how good your eyes are. I once built a match grade AR-15 for a shooter in Oregon that was to be equipped with Palma type peep sights and an interchangeable aperature hooded front sight. Before shipping it, I put a 12X Leupold on it and, after a few break in shots, fired a couple of groups - sent the target along with the rifle. About a month later, the guy sent me back a couple of his own targets - shot with the peep sights - that were better than the ones I shot with the scope. And my groups were1/2" . . . .

At age 53, I can still shoot 2" or better at 100 yards with peep sights. Last Sunday, I put four consecutive shots into a paper plate at 200 yards with a T/C Black Diamond muzzle loader equipped with a Williams receiver sight. This is probably about the maximum distance I would attempt to engage big game with this sight system. One thing that really makes for a sweet front sight setupis the green .040 fiber optic rod front sight - in conjunction with a rear peep of about .075". Great even in low light.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:05 PM

dh, I've got two vintage marble's tang sights (peeps) on old remington model 8 autoloaders. I can flatly guarantee you've never seen a faster gun in a swamp short of maybe a uzi or something. The reasons being are what vangunsmith said. Another reason they are supreme is imo iron sights are more relaible than scopes. provided you dont smack them on something - which will ruin a scope too. Sure a low powered scope can be fast and obviously gathers more light for you - but all those old timers really had something going with those peeps and tang sights. Acuraccy is improved, and range imo, depends on YOUR eyes and shooting ability. Besides that I think were getting too plastic these days, 14 power scopes, range finders, scent blocking clothing, gps, I even saw a commecial for friggin scent blocking gum!!!! Come on there's something to be said about going into the woods with your rifle, some cartridges, a knife, compass and matches.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:04 PM

I concur with the others here. Aperture sights are very effective, depending on the sharpness of one's eyesight. For much beyond 150 yards though, a telescopic sight is better, in the end. I use a tandem aperture arrangement on my old Mauser, which I like very much. I can achieve 1" groups at 100 yards, though not all of the time. However, at my age (with my eyes), I wouldn't attempt a shot on game beyond about 150 yards....and I prefer not to shoot beyond 125. This suits me just fine, as I shoot targets at 100 yards...and hunt at max. ranges of not much further.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

everyone is mentioning eyesight, well mine is pretty aweful. even at 17 they're bad. but recently i got to go shooting with a scoped rifle and an m1 garand, and i shot tighter with the garand sights at 100 yards then i did with the scope. i had a great time shooting through the scope, but them being so pricey now-a-days its tough.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:25 AM

Peeps are the best of the open sights. Check out Williams Gun Sight Co. They make the Williams "FoolProof" receiver sight.
I've used 'em on a couple of different rifles (Marlin 30/30, Ruger 77 in 308Win.), and were very accurate to 200yds. Recommend
using the "Twighlight" apartures with the larger diameter hole, and for a front sight consider installing or replacing the bead with a white bead. They make a couple different sizes for the white front bead sight. I had the larger on a 45/70, and the smaller bead on the 308 rifle.
(note: just in case you're wondering, the rear sight on the 45/70 was a Willimas with a shallow V blade.)

Link: http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

Old 08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dh4stretch3

how well do peep sights work? and up to what distance?
COL Townsend Whelen stated that aperture sights are as good as a scope out to 250 yards or so, PROVIDED you can see the target plainly.

I have shot military silhouette targets all the way out to 800 yards with my M1 Garand and hit them! It of course has an aperture rear sight!

(BTW, "peep" sights are iron sights, but they are NOT "open sights". Some jurisdictions that require "open sights" during some seasons do not permit aperture sights......)

Quick Reply: peep sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.