Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 cheap scope for my needs, not sure what I need >

cheap scope for my needs, not sure what I need

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cheap scope for my needs, not sure what I need

Old 08-24-2005, 10:16 PM

Default cheap scope for my needs, not sure what I need

I am rethinking hunting deer with out a scope for the reason that at 50 yards out I am having a hard time getting the site on the barrel and on the target lined up. I have good vision it is just trying to keep them in focus and with being a first year deer hunter I think I might screw upa lot of shots because of this.

Most of my shots are going to be less then 100 yards. I think around 50-75 yards will be the norm. What I am wondering is what size optic should I get? I know their are a lot out their. I just need something easy and simple and if it is easy on the bank account I would love it even it I just use it for a season or two and then do a nice upgrade.

I am bolting this up to a Remington 870 Super Mag.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: cheap scope for my needs, not sure what I need

Try the Bushnell Trophy model. They run about 100.00 but they are a pretty good low cost scope. I have had good luck with the Straight Power Simmons Pro Hunters as well. About 80.00
Old 08-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try the Bushnell
James...good advice
Old 08-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-24-2005, 11:21 PM

The fixed 4x40 Prostaff from Nikon can be had for around $100! And has more clarity than ANY of the "cheaper" scope makers like Bushnell, Tasco, Simmons etc...

Good luck,
RA
Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 AM

You might also want to check out a Weaver 1-3x, 20mm scope.
I had one on a Marlin 30/30. Sold the rifle, and should have kept the scope. I think the price, last time I checked, was approx. $125 +/-.
Here's a couple of sources to check it out.
Links:
MidwayUSA: http://www.midwayusa.com/

SWFA: http://www.riflescopes.com/store/default.asp

Old 08-25-2005, 04:26 AM

Just wondering has anyone tried this from basspro?

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=49666&hvarTarget=sea rch&hvarAID=&cmCat=3335277

I have seen a Bushnell at my local Meyers for $50 but I am ot sure of the focus on it.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are having trouble seeing with open sights , dont get a scope that has alot of magnifcation to or it will only compound your problem. Get a fixed power like a 4x or 6x with good eye relief. I prefer the nikon but any will do as a stater scope. good luck!!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Try the Bushnell Banner DDB in 1-4X32MM. Since you're mounting this on a slug gun it has 4.3" of eye relief. This is a good amount of eye relief for a hard recoiling slug gun.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:15 AM

I've had great luck with the bushnell trophy scopes as well. I had one on my ML for a while but took it off because I wanted a little more power. However I have one on my new slug gun now.

They are pretty decent scopes for around 100 bucks. Mine is the 1.75-4x32 circle X. If you don't want the circle X I looked at one that was pretty much the same but was 1.75-5x32 with a regular duplex cross hair. I spent about 15 minutes or so trying to decide which I liked better. I went with the 4 power circle X because to me it seemed crisper, brighter and the reticle was easier to lock onto quickly.

In my opinion I wouldn't go any cheaper than this. Especially on a slug gun used in crappy conditions. Nothing worse than having a scope fial on you during a hunt, or fog over while you are bearing down on a deer in nasty conditions. I've had it happen, and it sucks!

Good luck,
Paul

Quick Reply: cheap scope for my needs, not sure what I need

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.