HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Don't know if it's true, but..... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/109630-dont-know-if-its-true-but.html)

broey1 08-20-2005 04:40 PM

Don't know if it's true, but.....

I was talking toa Winchester rep today who said Winchester was seriously considering the 6.5-06 and/or 6.5-284. Although, he felt the actual name would be different in both cases. Don't know if true...... according to this fella it could be done starting 2007.

We'll see. Both would be interesting. The one thing that made me say, "huh?", however is he said it was in response to the 260 Remington's success and the renewed popularity in the 6.5x55 and to some degree the 264 Win Mag. Maybe they are more popular than I thought???

Maine Shooter 08-20-2005 05:46 PM

RE: Don't know if it's true, but.....

Neat, but what empty niche do they fill?

Superpig 08-20-2005 05:47 PM

If they put one out in 6.5-284 I'll take one.

trailer 08-20-2005 06:37 PM

I would also be interested in either one.

Rebel Hog 08-20-2005 06:44 PM

Very inter-rest-ing!

Vapodog 08-20-2005 08:26 PM

I'll bite on a 6.5-06

RedAllison 08-20-2005 08:52 PM

bro I hope you are correct. I will have to check with my reps and see if they have any info on this as well. The problem with introing a rifle that no-one commercially loads for is obvious. Maybe they (Win/Browning) have contracted the folks at Winchester Ammo (they are two different companies, Win Rep Arms and Win Ammo that is) have come to an agreement to supply each other they like they did while introin the WSMs a couple of years ago.

I know for over a year there has been ALOT of interest in the 6.5x.284. Hell even the guide I had lastyear in WY was building one for himself. I personally don't see Winchester Ammo doing anything to curb the .270 sales (if that's possible, she has fended off ALL comers for 80 years now!) so the 6.5x.284 makes more sense than the 6.5/06. But who really knows, at this point it's still just speculation.

As for the .264Mag re-intro, I doubt it. As good as it is (but in all honesty I believe I can do more with my 7mags than I would with a .264) it suffers the same fate as the 220 Swift, an ancient "wivestale" about being a barrel burner. I think that reason alone would keep sales slow. BUT then again, alot of mags that were great but didn't make it were victims more of their times than anything. The barrel burner myth was more a victim of the fact that there were very few commercial cartridges that produced such velocities so people were scared of them. There also where much poorer bullet selections back then than we have today. Many more magnums today are great guns now that powders, barrels and bullets are better suited too their use.

Hmmmmmmm perhaps a 6.5WSM???
RA

Rebel Hog 08-21-2005 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Superpig

If they put one out in 6.5-284 I'll take one.
Yep! Like it also!

DANTHEHUNTER 08-21-2005 11:25 AM

I have one built on a howa action (6.5-.284) This is one awsome machine, I also have a browning a-bolt in a .270 wsm. I can tell you this round will shoot as good with some practice. Need some more time reloading and building my rifle for it.

Dan