Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 August American Rifleman magizane Artical >

August American Rifleman magizane Artical

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

August American Rifleman magizane Artical

Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default August American Rifleman magizane Artical

In the August American Rifleman magizane page 52 theres a artical,
Where Big companys are wanting to fire there employees.
For having guns in there locked cars and trucks while on the,
Company property.

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20050809-115750-9703r.htm

NRA guns for rights violators By Gene Mueller
August 10, 2005
Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, says he will spare no expense or effort to expose energy giant ConocoPhillips for its anti-Second Amendment stance.
Look for billboard advertising soon that says as much. An NRA-sponsored national boycott campaign against ConocoPhillips also will begin.
The sparks flew after LaPierre spoke at a rally in Idabel, Okla., to support employees fired by the Weyerhaeuser Co. because they kept legally owned firearms stored in their locked vehicles in a company parking lot that was publicly accessible. Since the firings, the Oklahoma Legislature has passed a bill to prevent such terminations, but ConocoPhillips filed a federal lawsuit to block the protective measure.

Click on link above to read more.

http://www.nraila.org Click on Featured Story...

NRA Launches National Boycott
Against ConocoPhillips

Thank GOD for the http://www.NRA.org

Old 08-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: August American Rifleman magizane Artical

Thanks for the posting.

I won't be buying any gas from these guys.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe this explains why the Conoco gas station has been $ .10 more than the high priced Exxon and Shell stations in my town the last 3 weeks - they've got to pay the lawyers!
Old 08-17-2005, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

These people who think they have a right to restrict what I have in my vehicle in a parking lot are absolutely nuts. It is bad enough that so many companies and businesses post "No gun" signs on their doors, trying to prevent citizens with concealed carry permits from exercising their rights. I work in a building where the owner of the building (housing numerous businesses) has such a sign posted. Such people apparently don't realize how they are insulting one of the most honest and trustworthy portions of the population while obviously having NO impact on anyone intent on violating their policy. I have tried to communicate the irrationality of such postings to the owner of the building, sending him well-written material on the issue, all to no avail.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:15 AM

Wow, that seems out of line for Conoco-Phillips, two companies long rooted in northern Oklahoma (Bartlesville and Ponca city, respectively), to make enemies with the locals for doing what folks in N. OK do (hunt and shoot things).

Oh well, every minority group in the country is 100% convined that they are hated and discrimiated against, simply because they are a minority.

I'm a white guy, but if being a gun owner means I'm a minority and can bitch like the rest of 'em, why not?
Old 08-18-2005, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

For a moment look at it from the company's perspective. They are probably responding to a lawyer's advice that they are vulnerable to a negligence suite or a charge of not providing a safe workplace in the event an employee goes off the deep end, goes to their truck to retrieve their rifle, and shoots and kills several people in the building. I'm not saying it is fair. I'm not saying that I like it. And I agree that the rule is not going to be very effective in preventing the occurence of the risk the policy is directed at -- any more than gun laws are generally effective at detering criminals from using guns. If you have gone off the deep end, you will just bring your rifle to work and break the rule. Chances of detecting one lone exception to the rule is very low.

Anyway,my guess is you have the lawyers to thank for this one. "If you DON'T make this a policy and enforce it strictly, WHEN this happens you will be liable for HUGE damages when the family of a murdered employee sues you for negligence and operating an unsafe workplace!!!"
Old 08-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

What is happening to this country!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:29 PM

It is thier property, they can say what you can have on it or not. If it is stated in your employee handbook that you can't have a fire arm on the property then you can't do it. It is that simple. You are not allowed to have one on government property at all. It is the same thing as having a concealed carry permit but not being able to carry in certain places.

With as many incidents as we have with people going postal and going into the work place or schools armed I can't say that I blame them. Do I agree with them, no, but it is thier right. If you don't like the policy don't work there. I can't think of a place I have worked at that allowed firearms on the property. We still did it, especially if you hunt. You just don't get them out and wave them around in the parking lot after work.

I would like to know exactly what happened in that case before I pass judgement on it. There may be more to it. What it boils down to though is if they were told they could not have firearms on the property and did it any way then they were fired legally. Is what I want to know is how the company knew? Did they have the weapons out in plain sight, or did they conduct some sort of search that may not have been legal.

Paul
Old 08-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

The parking lot in the Oklahoma case is open to the public. It is not just for company employees. I am waiting for some concealed carry permit holder (or his estate) to file suit against one of these idiotic companies or building owners after some nut commits mayhem and the permit holder is killed or injured because he was deniedhis government authorizedmeans to defend himself on their premises. Sure makes a lot more sense than suing over being burned by hot coffee!
Old 08-18-2005, 05:52 PM

That would be a bit different then I guess. I'm not a lawyer so I couldn't say for sure. It all depends on what they signed before they got hired. If you agreed to it you would probably be screwed I guess. Also there are plenty of public places where you cannot carry a weapon even if you have a permit. Most of them as a matter fact, all they have to do is post it. So I don't think you would have much of a case if it went to court. Just because you have a permit it doesn't make it legal to take it anywhere you want. That is why most don't bother with it. I thought about getting one in MI and the local gun store said don't waste my time or money. There are very few places you can actually have them so it just becomes a pain in the butt and really doesn't do you any good. I don't think this is the same thing as having a hunting weapon in your vehicle though.

Actually if you read the gun laws for MI it states you cannot drive around with a handgun in your vehicle, even if it is in a locked gun case in the trunk. This applies to a pellet gun as well. In order to have a handgun in your vehicle you need to have a permit or be on the way to or from a shooting facility or gunsmith. I doubt it is a law they enforce too strictly. It's ok for a rifle though from what I can tell.

I was a security guard for a glass factory once that did not allow tabaco on the property, not just in the plant. I saw them fire a guy for having a smoke in his car during a break. I thought that was a bit extreme.They told me to tell the trucks when they came in the tabaco policy as well. I don't see how you can tell a truck driver what they can and can't have in thier truck as long as it is legal. I don't think it is the same thing as a car, it's more like a home in some cases. Didn't make much sense to me.

Paul

Quick Reply: August American Rifleman magizane Artical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.