Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What rifle do I need now? >

What rifle do I need now?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What rifle do I need now?

Old 08-09-2005, 02:25 PM

Default RE: What rifle do I need now?

Funny, I'm in the exact opposite position:
I have a 30-30 Trapper and a super shadow 270WSM.
Unlike you, I am coveting the verstility of the 30-06. Not to mention the wide range of bullets, their relative cheapness and the option to shoot a 180 garin bullet at any sane range. I have shot 2 deer and 1 Elk with the 270WSM (deer 130Gr silvertip & ELK 140 Gr failsafe) they all dropped dead instantly. However the elk was a cow shot at 50-65yards in the neck. The deer were shot: one in the chest quartering toward me (more toward than quarter) having spotted me one was ready to bolt and the other was hiding in a hollow hoping I didnt see it. That deer's frontal section was framed by heavy bushes so all I had a clear shot for was the head or chest and I was on the last hour of a four day hunt. But, all dropped RIGHT NOW!! I was shocked how quickly they all went down because I had been watching too much outdoor TV and it seems like all the animals you see shot on TV go some yards before dying (cept some of the muzzle loader shots you see where they are sitting in a cabin on a ranch). Man, out west we don't have anything like that. You go out in the woods or plains or hills and spot & stock, period. And, the animals are cagey and wild as all get out. I will guarantee you I walked hoofed and humped more than 30 miles for every animal I have shot mostly uphill. Sorry to turn this into an editorial on Fair Chase, but thank GOD my wife doesnt watch hunting TV. And, I won't let my sons watch it anymore because it was starting to sour them. I didnt want them to think for a minute that TV captured anything close to our reality. Wish I had a TV option and a camera man on my hunts...there would sure enough be some major reality from preparation to strategy/Sweat and sheer determination cuz thats what it really takes to get game where I live-which is why so many folks come home empty handed. There is no secret or magic to it. I get game through blood sweat and just old fashion humpin from dawn until dusk
Old 08-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pickup a 6.5 swed. the old army gun and sportise it talk about a great gun I wish I had done it years ago with a 29 inch barrel less than 1 inch at 200 yards of sand bags I am now looking for 1 more what more can I say you will not regrett getting one.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Preach on bruther! Fair chase is ethical. I live near ft collins and work for the city of boulder, hunting is under enough scrutiny withoutun-ethical huntershelping them along. If the peoples republic (city of boulder) had thier way, no one would hunt anything in boulder county.
I do think that the 270 WSM is the stuff! But, I wouldnt trade my remington 700 30-06 for one. I am thinking that the 270 WSM would be a nice medium. Must shoot one! EJ
Old 08-09-2005, 05:27 PM

both of the guns you have are really nice calibers. and you can also do alot of different hunting with them. Your buddy's suggestion is a good one. if you wish to continue hunting medium to large sized game, this is a great choice. if you like the calibers you have now, you might also want to consider a 270 as well.if you are into trying newcalibers out,you could even get a 300 win mag. its all up to you. remember, guns can have multiple uses . you canhunt with and have fun just shooting them too . I own many guns that i might not ever get the opprotunities to hunt all of them, but i still shoot them. and let me tell you...i love shooting them. every gun i have, i enjoy. if you really want to pep things up you could move to even larger calibers, like a 338 or 375 h&h. and if you just got them to shoot, atleast you can say that you have a gun that you can hunt dangerous game with too.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:47 PM

I agree about the 300 win mag or 338 as well. I had model 70's in both those calibers the 300 had the boss sytem and I sold it cuz the thing darn near shattered my eardrums. Just wasnt worth the noise. The 300 was a tack driver though. And once you zeroed her on in, you could fine tune the boss to make it even better...but not worth it to me. The 338 was very fun to shoot and I wish I still had it. It would compliment my 270WSM perfectly for my needs. 338 for elk and bear and moose. 270WSM for deer, antelope, sheep etc. In my opinion the 338 was more pleasant to shoot than my friend's 7mm. It had a very velvety long push. Kinda like if you struck a shooting pose and had someone place their hand on your shoulder and push you lightly./ Whereas the 7mm had a sharp jump to it that was more like someone punching you briskly from a foot or two away. None of our group has enjoyed shooting the 7mm for pleasure. However, you never really notice those things on the real hunt.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guns you have are quite fine as they are. To me, there is no point in having a 7RM and a .30-06. Too close to each other, and the largest elk won't know the difference. I would look at two options.

Go a lot bigger than where you are now. Such as bigger than .338, like the .375 H&H or something.

OR

Get an old military gun. There are tons of 8mm Mausers from Yugoslavia floating around that can be had for cheap. Trying to find a good load in them, will keep your head spinning, and coming back for more. They can be really fun, and you can buy more than one for the price of a brand new production rifle. Also, once a good load is found, they make a good "truck gun" for a back up for deer.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I think you .243 and your 30-06 cover a lot. If you want something to have fun shooting I would get a pistol orsomething likean AR-15.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1

Well, I havea .243 and 30-06 and I like em both. But, I dont want these 2 rifles to get tired of me shooting them. My pal says I just gotta have a 7mm Mag (since he has one). Any other opinions? EJ
I think the .30-06 and 7mm Mag. are too close to ballastics to warrant purchasing another gun.

On the lower end of the scale, there's the .22-250 you might want to consider as your next round.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:20 AM

270 WSM...................
Old 08-12-2005, 08:29 PM

Dear Ejpaul1. You need a high quality .22 rifle (well heck, everyone does!) I prefeer the CZ 452 lux, but there are great ones from sako (Finnfire), Remington (504), Ruger, Savage, marlin and Kimber. For about 250-500 bucks you can get a great .22 and spend 100-2-- bucks on a scope. You can walk the sqirrel wwods in the off season and keep up your skills. The ammo is cheap and they are just flat fun. You'll see!
okcmco

Quick Reply: What rifle do I need now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.