Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Holy cow...my bolt handle came off >

Holy cow...my bolt handle came off

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Holy cow...my bolt handle came off

Old 08-07-2005, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Holy cow...my bolt handle came off

from the looks of it, its a stainless steel gun. as a welder I know it can be difficult to weld stainless steel and very easy not to get the weld hot enough to bond the steel. Just send it back to remington im sure they willbe more thenhappy to fix it or replace the bolt altogether for you. Myself i will still own remington over any other gun, your problem IMO is minor since it can be fixed I own several remingtons and a few that are probably older then you and i have yet to see this sort of problem on any of them, but then none of them are stainless guns.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:58 AM

As stated this does happen with rem model 700 from time to time its just one of those things in mass production.They will fix it free of charge for it was not your fault. Not like aforge bolt handle like on a mauser or as stated a Rem model 788 which is threaded like the 22 lr is some models. Except that his happened and go on from there,yes its frustrating for one,since you put out good money. It will work out ok in the long run .vangunsmith
Old 08-07-2005, 10:24 AM

thanks for lettin us know. now i know never to buy a bolt action remmington!!
Old 08-07-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't go that far, but suit yourself. If you would never buy a certain brand of gun just because of a very rare problem that MIGHT occur in 1 in MAYBE 40,000-50,000 units, then you won't have too many choices. Mass produced guns, like anything else that rolls off an assembly line dozens or hundreds at a time, will always have a defect rate greater than 0%. Now if someone had posted a thread saying that the bolt handle of a hand-made custom action rifle (i.e. Stolle Panda or Tubbs 2000) had fallen off, then your concern would have more merit.

I, for one, still wouldn't hesitate to buy an M700. For every gun that has its bolt handle fall off, there are probably several tens of thousands of M700's that will never have a single problem. Those odds are good enough for me.

Mike

Old 08-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Typical Buck

I saw this happen with a fellow at the range,he had got all his shooting things inside the shooting house fired one round and the bolt came off in his hand as he was ejecting the spent round,it was on a rem 300 umag..
A buddy of mine had the safety lever break off his adl and the warrenty had just gone off and rem charged him $85 to replace it.
I have quit a few remingtons and so far haven't had any bad luck with any of them,but just bought a sps a few weeks ago and it wouldn't chamber a round sent it back and the said they polished the chamber and put a new bolt in it and it is ok now.I am glad it was still under warrenty though.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: FastShootingCarts

That's not good. What's the model of the gun?
It is a Sendero stainless..... .300 Win Mag
Old 08-08-2005, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I wouldn't go that far, but suit yourself. If you would never buy a certain brand of gun just because of a very rare problem that MIGHT occur in 1 in MAYBE 40,000-50,000 units, then you won't have too many choices. Mass produced guns, like anything else that rolls off an assembly line dozens or hundreds at a time, will always have a defect rate greater than 0%. Now if someone had posted a thread saying that the bolt handle of a hand-made custom action rifle (i.e. Stolle Panda or Tubbs 2000) had fallen off, then your concern would have more merit.

I, for one, still wouldn't hesitate to buy an M700. For every gun that has its bolt handle fall off, there are probably several tens of thousands of M700's that will never have a single problem. Those odds are good enough for me.

Mike

those figures seem kinda of high, what were your sources? anyway i wouldn't want a gun breaking on me, you never know what sitution you could be in. you should be able to yank on that handle as hard as you can and not have it break off. Also solder is a very weak bond. my $.2

Old 08-08-2005, 07:59 AM

It happens. Either send or take the bolt to someone to have it fixed.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a perfect example of one of the reasons I choose not to own a Remington 700. I don't care how accurate it is, there are just too many mechanical shortcomings with this action for my taste.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:40 PM

This is a perfect example of one of the reasons I choose not to own a Remington 700. I don't care how accurate it is, there are just too many mechanical shortcomings with this action for my taste.
Well these "shortcomings" havent prevented it from becoming one of the most popular bolt actions ever. I bet you theres a reason that countless custom rifle makers use the 700 action in their rifles. As everyone stated everyone makes a lemon every once in awhile.

I would also like to know the other problems with a factory 700 versus the other major manufacterers. Im not saying this in an argumentative way, im just curious as to what other problems people have encountered with their factory 700's. Ive heard of a few, but not enough to prevent me from owning 6 remington 700's.

Quick Reply: Holy cow...my bolt handle came off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.