Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I think I'm through with synthetic rifles! >

I think I'm through with synthetic rifles!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I think I'm through with synthetic rifles!

Old 08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I think I'm through with synthetic rifles!

I love the looks of wood stocks and being a carpenter for many years, I have done a ton of work with wood. However when it comes to going out hunting in the weather of the Dakotas, give me the synthetics. I have replaced most of my wood stocks but keep them in case I want to resale or trade a gun in. The stock then still looks like new and helps the resale value.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey, good idea James!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:25 PM

DON'T get me wrong, I aint baggin on synthetic guns and I aint about to throw em out in the trash either. They have their place. My primary big game gun will still be my Sako/Warbird (and yes Roskoe is right about the McMillan stock being far superior than most other synthetics. Those on my Rems, Browns etc... feel like plastic toys compared too the one on my Sako!) like I said, it's probably just a stage or desire to go change things up a lil bit. I also have a laminated wood gun as well, my 700 Custom Shop 280 with a 24" stainless barrel. Yes it does wear like iron and still feels like wood, but I guess it's more of a "cosmetic thing" with me. I aint just talkin about plain ol walnut and average bluing. I am growing more and more attracted to hand rubbed oil finishes with subdued blues AND super high luster "knock your eyes out" type finishes like those of Mark V Deluxes and even high line Blasers (as if they build any "cheap" lines).

I will continue to keep my true "hunting guns" for inclement weather, rough conditions and carrying on trips out west. But for just getting out of a truck and climbing into a treestand/shooting house or the occasional "slink around/mini stand" hunting I am more inclined to carry something nice. Various products like Gun Chaps, Camo Clad and the neoprene slipover covers make it possible to reasonably hide a guns finish from sunlight as well as protect a quality piece of wood or bluing. I'm even getting into various 'super' stocks like birdseye and tigerstripe maple, blonde walnut and other highly ornate wood types. They truly are a piece of artwork too me and carrying a multi-thousand dollar stock into the woods during inclement weather or rough conditions is purely rediculous. I guess I'm just gonna "pick my poison".

Anyone seen some of the stocks available from Bullberry Barrel Works for Encores?
RA
Old 08-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

As much as I love a real dark walnut stock (the Browning A-Bolt White Gold Medallion is a thing of beauty), I just can't bear thethought of dinging or scratchingthe finishwhile tromping through the woods.Getting a second synthetic stock forsuch a rifle is a decent option, but too have found myself disliking synthetic stocks of late. I say that with one qualifier, that being that I have no experience with custom grade fiberglass and composite stocks like those madeby McMillan or HS Precision,just the typical factory synthetic fodder.

I've really gravitating toward laminate stocks.It looks and feels like wood,but has the strength, stabilityandmost of the weather resistance of synthetic, at the cost of a bit of added weight.If I wanted a super-light rifle forhard core humping through the mountainsI'dprobablygo back to synthetic, but for a medium weight sporterto heavy varmint rifle, laminate is my first choice.

Mike
Old 08-02-2005, 04:43 PM

yea i agree too. i never really liked the way a synthetic stock looks. Also with the wooden stocks you can sand them and then finish it to a color that you like.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:59 PM

I tend to agree with the "woodies" here also. I used to use synthetic stocks on all of my firearms, because of the practicality (primarily, weather resistance). I never really liked them...but I used them anyway. Now, in my "old age", I have decided that, since I prefer wood...wood it will be. If proper care is taken in finishing/ sealing a wood stock...and if the action is properly bedded in the stock.... then there is very little difference in practical terms - except in the most severe conditions. Since I don't use my firearms in the "most severe conditions"...especially not anymore...it follows that I can get by just fine with wood furniture. So far, I have had no problems in this regard. As well, as we all know....a wood stock is MUCH more pleasant to use on a cold morning...than any synthetic !

Old 08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the looks of wood or laminated wood stocks. I’ve used my Remington with the wood stock for a number of years but this will be the first year I’m going with the synthetic stock and I’m looking forward to it. For me the synthetic stock is for hunting and the wood is for show.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:27 PM

Nothing is prettier than a great piece of wood.Yet some people with these nice guns after putting out the bucks for them,don,t want them stratched ect.Wood does change when introduced to different elements of mother nature such as rain,snow,heat ect. synthetic stocks began to come to being for two reasons. First our forfathers only planted so many type and grade of good woods for stocks like walnut for instance. A lot of these trees have gone by the wayside and orchards are being plowed down for housing developments.With the availablity of wood yrs ago being projected and the hunters wanting a stock that would,nt be effected by the wether like wood is,thhis market was the father of the synthetic stocks and they were and are cheaper to make. Hence also more profit for the companies. They are just trying to fullfill needs of a hunter whom hunts a lot,and i mean a lot,and make more profit for there share holders of the company. vangunsmith
Old 08-06-2005, 03:48 PM

I have to agree with you Red. I personally love the looks of a nice walnut or other grainy harwood stocks. I currently own only 3 guns withsynthetic stocks. At first i hated that boring, black, matte look. But after a couple times hunting with them in rain or wet snow.I take notice at the ones I have to really keep up with to prevent surface rusting and dings or scratches in the wood. All in all, I still love my nice wood guns. But i am also happy to know...i got a couple on my wall that i can take into the elements with me as well. And about that dull dry savage bluing (I own a couple of them too) maybe you could try some " BLUE WONDER" I have had the best luck with this product. I have made my savages and newer ithicas as black as the ace of spades. Also to mention that the finish comes out smooth and shiny too, not matte and rough. I am currently working on a H&R single shot manufactured 1904. It had alot of pitting and bluing turned a brownish copper. Now it looks like a browning bps' dark, rich, smooth blue finish. It is all in the preparation before bluing that is most important. Make it clean, polish it and remove all grease from the area. Even grease from fingerprints have been known to make bluing appearscattered or blotchy. Try it Red, and let me know how it goes.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the headsup buckstalker, I might just have to give that a try. In all the years of selling all this stuff I have NEVER had the "nads" to try all the various blues and other finishes we have sold. Alot of my customers buy them without hesitation, but I just haven't been confident enough. BUT one thing about it with the Savages, you aint gonna make em anyworse thats for sure. I wouldn't mind a shiny finish on my new lil 22/250. But the Savage muzzleloader I got lastyear, that's one I wouldn't want shined up. I keep threatening to have it "Black T'd" but just haven't had it done. Is there anykind of durable black matte on the market that could be applied by a nimrod at home?

Thanks,
RA

Quick Reply: I think I'm through with synthetic rifles!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.