HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   cleaing a gun from the muzzle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/107155-cleaing-gun-muzzle.html)

ajg2425 07-30-2005 08:42 AM

cleaing a gun from the muzzle

hey i was wondering if any of you do this, i normally take the entire gun apart and clean it.The gun isnt really dirty but the barrel is filthy. I dont really wanna take the time to take the barrel off to clean i bore first. Anyone think i could just run the cleaing rod carefully from the muzzle?

eldeguello 07-30-2005 09:06 AM

RE: cleaing a gun from the muzzle

ORIGINAL: ajg2425

Anyone think i could just run the cleaing rod carefully from the muzzle?
Why of course you can! There are many rifles that MUST be cleaned from the muzzle! Like the U.S. Rifle cal. 30 M1,the M14, or any sidelock muzzleloader, etc. They even make brass cleaning rod guides that'll center your rod in the bore so the muzzle crown is totally protected! Just be careful not to let the rod scrape on the lands at the muzzle!

driftrider 07-30-2005 09:10 AM

If you are able to clean the gun from the breach, then that's how you should clean it. Cleaning from the muzzle not only pushes the crud from the barrel back into the action where it's harder to remove completely, it also invites damage to the crown of the muzzle. Even slight damage to the crown will cause the rifles accuracy to go down the toilet.

Mike

FastShootingCarts 07-30-2005 03:20 PM

I carefully clean my Ruger 10/22 and Mini-14 from the muzzle.

biscuit jake 07-30-2005 04:15 PM

I clean from the muzzle when the firearm dicates that. (Attached blind end receiver.) I have a Kleenore rod with a muzzle guide.

missed_another 07-30-2005 04:18 PM

sure you can clean threw the muzzel. they have been cleaning lever action rifles for about a 150 years threw the muzzel. just use a plastic coated or a aluminum rod to be safe. gun barrels will take alot more abuse than people think. :)

jashoffa 08-01-2005 07:39 PM

get a bore snake for your cal of rifle. I just got one for .22 call and it works great, I plan on getting one for each cal. I own. then you can clean from the breach end with out taking it apart.

trailer 08-01-2005 08:17 PM

If I’m not mistaken isn’t an aluminum rod one of the worst rods to use.

eldeguello 08-02-2005 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: trailer

If I’m not mistaken isn’t an aluminum rod one of the worst rods to use.
\
Yes it is! It picks up grit, which becomes imbedded, and then abraids the steel - any soft metal rod (ie, aluminum, brass, etc.) will do this!

statjunk 08-02-2005 10:55 AM

What is people's opinion of the bore snakes?

I have a couple but I wonder if anyone has ever done any comparisions between using a bore snake and using a cleaning rod.

Tom