Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
rifled slugs in rifled barrels >

rifled slugs in rifled barrels

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

rifled slugs in rifled barrels

Old 09-26-2002, 09:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: rifled slugs in rifled barrels

I always doubted that the rifled slugs actually caused a twist or not. I do know that I have had a couple of guns that worked better with them than anything else. And yes one was rifled. I never had a whole lot of trouble getting the lead out, but, with any lead bullet you do have a good chance of leading. As far as hurting the barrel I would have to say that the jackets or copper solids would hurt it more. Lead is softer than copper, even if it has been heat treated or a large amount of tin, silver, etc. But in either case unless you are shooting 100's of rounds per week I dont think you will ever notice (at least if you are the average type shooter who puts maybe 50 rounds more or less through the gun per year)

The best bet is to pick several types of slugs go out to the range and see which one groups the best. If the leading is too bad to stand then use the jacketed. Just remember when that big buck is in your sights you want to know that the slug is going where you are aiming.

Just a few thoughts

MK

MK

I measured once cut twice and it still is too short
Old 09-27-2002, 07:05 AM

Some of the guy in my group use rifle barrels and standard slugs with good success. All the data says to use sabot slugs for best accuracy. They get great accuracy with foster slugs out of a rifled barrel. Go figure.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Herman and Bill, why do you say that? It may be possible, but what was your source of the testing that say they don't spin. Very curious." Foster-type (and other design) slugs have been photographed in flight. Quite often, the "rifling" has been smeared off as the slug travells down the bore and through the choke, it any. There is very little rotation noted for the Fosters! However, some types, having much deeper "vanes", such as the Brenneke, do seem to show visible rotation, but NOT FAST ENOUGH TO CONTRIBUTE MUCH TO STABILITY OR ACCURACY!!

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 10-02-2002, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

i have shot many, many, MANY rifled slugs through my rifled barrel and have never had any problem. i have noticed no loss of accuracy. i am sure, that if i were using a sabot, my range would be greater.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot the 3-inch Magnum Brenneke gold colored slugs through my 12 gauge single shot H&R "Ultra Slug Hunter" (the ultimate deer slayer!) You can look at the slug and clearly see it's a "foster" type slug with rifling and it says of the box in big letters inside a red star "FOR RIFLED BARRELS ONLY). Believe me...these slugs are monsters. If you can get a clean shot, they'll take a deer WAY out there. Brenneke delivers the meat my friend!

Now...."Go Get Ya One!"