HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   do you guys kno.... and a ? REVISED (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/106978-do-you-guys-kno-revised.html)

Dukebh40 07-28-2005 08:20 AM

do you guys kno.... and a ? REVISED

my grandpa is letting me borrow his old .308 for this deer season. i believe he got it at a job back in the 60's for $40. so i brought it home and was a little iffy because the bolt was suuuuuuper stiff and i need to put a new scope on it and the barrel had a rust spot or two and it was all around just dirty. so i spend about a little over and hour cleanin it up and now its real nice. my question is the engraving on the side has worn out so i cant tell what company gun it is. on the back of the actionit says mark II. it has a tang safety on the bolt side of the action. its a mauser action and its "springloaded" so whenever you open it the bolt flies back. my other question was i bought some winchester 150 grain powerpoints. will these work for deer. sorry for the long post but im full of questions. any replies or anything about the .308 will be aprreciated. thanks

FastShootingCarts 07-28-2005 08:42 AM

RE: do you guys kno.... and a ?

Yes, 150gr. rounds will work for Deer.

Make sure you clean in well with bore cleaner and a bore brush.

Dukebh40 07-29-2005 08:25 AM

RE: do you guys kno.... and a ? REVISED

alright im guessin no 1 knows about this gun so ill ask a different question. how about the .308 itself. ive never shot one. will the powerpoints work they're cheap so im worrying about performance. thanks for the help guys.

James B 07-29-2005 09:36 AM

The only rifle that I can recall that was stamped with Mark ll was the Ruger. It could be a Mark X which were imported commercial Mauser of pretty good quality. It is probably fine but if it were mine, I would have a good gunsmith look it over just to be safe. The 308 is a fine big game cartridge and is suitable for all North American Big game. There is a very good variety of bullets and factory ammo for the 308 and even though its a bit light for big Bears, It has and will conntinue to work for them as well. Its a short action 30 caliber very simular in performance to the 30-06 and matches its basllistics with all bullets up to 165 grains. The 30-06 has a bit more powder capacity so with bullets over 180, the 06 pprovides a little more punch. The 308 of which I have two is as good a deer rifle as you will ever find and is also very accurate and rules the steel silhoutte game.(500 meter steel targets) A good 6X or 2X7 x40 would work very well for deer and elk hunting. I have a 6X Simmons Pro Hunter on one of my 308's. The straight power Pro- Hunter Simmons scopes are good quality and tough as heck.(About 80.00). I have a Leupold M8 4X on the other 308. Good scope but three times the cost of the Pro-Hunter. Good Luck

Solitary Man 07-29-2005 10:09 AM

If you could post a picture of that rifle (a close-up or two of the action) someone might be able to identify it.

As far as the cartridge is concerned, you're in fine shape for deer hunting. James B summed it up well.

semi 07-29-2005 10:16 AM

the 150 PP will work fine for deer. Same with good ole Core-loks from Remington.

this gun sounds like a ruger to me.

Markinsd 07-29-2005 11:59 AM

I would also have a gunsmith look at the gun, but from what you said about it it could be a 94/96 Mauser with the cock on close bolt that has been sporterized with a timney side safety trigger. I can't think of many guns with a cock on closing bolt which is what this gun has to be.

Mark

BareBack Jack 07-29-2005 12:50 PM

With you saying that it has a tang saftey,dose not sound like the first rugers.The first rugers had the saftey right behind the bolt,not to the side.I would guess that it is a Mauser that has been sportirized.
On a safe side have it checked by a gun smith.

As for the .308 it is a great deer round,the 150 gr power points should be just perfect for deer.
BBJ