Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope rings

Old 07-31-2005, 01:25 PM

Default RE: Scope rings

The normal Weaver stuff is only standard grade aluminum. The Grand Slam series (steel) IS good stuff, other than the cheesy finish.

If you are looking for a quality two piece that is a one time "set it and forget" and money is no object (and with something as crucial as your scope and rifles link, I think you should throw the budget out the window) I STRONGLY recommend the the split ring setup from Talley. The rings and bases are machined from steel, have a SUPURB finish that actually goes with either gloss or matte combos and the base is grooved no only on the bottom but front and back. The rings simply CAN'T move once you tighten them down on the base. Another AWESOME Talley product is their new one piece, machined T7 Aluminum base/ring combo. Each base and ring is a one piece unit so they can't fail unless they were cut or broken off. They are only $40-$50 for a set so they are actually cheaper than the typical Leupold base/ring setup.

As for the onepiece base, if all 4 taps were used on most rifles, and both rings were dovetails then yes it would be a VERY strong unit. I remember dual dovetail one pieces, but it's been a long time since I have seen them. I don't know if they are still built or not. A onepiece base, with 4 screws in the reciever and dual dovetails would actually strengthen an action (cut rotary forces). But they add a lil weight (only ounces) and I don't like the way they hamper loading and unloading, especially if used on a blind mag rifle!

RA
Old 07-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I like the conetrols but they are agravating to but solid as a rock
Old 08-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tried one set of the newer Weaver Quad rings. I liked them so well that I ordered six more sets and put the on the shelf for later. I have used Weaver on nearly everything and this includes the 416 Rem Mag. I ran about 1500-2000 rounds through that gun and nothing ever moved a bit. Put them on tight and the last forever. Instalation of mounts and scopes is very critical. 90 percent of peoples scope problems are caused by improper insatlation.
Old 08-09-2005, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

After all my research I'm thinking Leupold Dual Dovetail rings (non windage adjustable) on the 2 piece base setup.

For mounting my Leupold VXII 3-9x40 on my Rem 700 30-06, what rings do I want, low or medium? Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2005, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

After all my research I'm thinking Leupold Dual Dovetail rings (non windage adjustable) on the 2 piece base setup.

For mounting my Leupold VXII 3-9x40 on my Rem 700 30-06, what rings do I want, low or medium? Thanks again!
coolbrze0 -

I have a Remington 700 BDL (7mm RM) with a 3-9x40mm VX-II mounted on the Leupold DD mounts and I use the medium height rings. I found that, although the low rings will work if you keep the scope pretty far forward on the rifle, the scope's bell will come in contact with the barrel right in front of the receiver if you pull it back a little. Medium rings still keep it pretty close to the bore axis, but you can have the scope in any position on the rifle, so they are my choice for the best height.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Darnit, not what I wanted to hear, but thank you. You're saying unless I mount the scope pretty far fwd. that the front will touch the barrel?

I'd rather know now than find out the hard way. I'm going to see what others say and then make my decision.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:04 AM

Coolb I agree with Hunter, last fall I put a BuckMasters 3x9x40 on a 30/06 700ADL "guest rifle" of mine and I to used medium dual dovetail Leupold rings. Fits about perfect and allows for maximum movement for proper eye relief. Another thing about putting the bell "paper thinly" from the barrel is it prevents you from using many scope covers, especially the flip-up covers from Butler Creek. So a small gap is merited. I try to encourage dual dovetails too ALL my customers who are sworn too Leupold bases/rings.

Good luck,
RA