HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   .270 question (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/106953-270-question.html)

dogslayer 07-28-2005 12:07 AM

.270 question

Convince me to keep my .270 win. Thanks for the input .Or , if you have critisisms of the cartridge , I'd like to know that too .

James B 07-28-2005 12:51 AM

RE: .270 question

From elk on down you have a great rifle. If you shoot the gun well and intend to hunt NA. You can't do better. Even if you want to try something new, if you have a good rifle and it shoots well. Keep It. I really can't think of a real critisism against the 270.

redhead522 07-28-2005 01:31 AM

While the .270 will kill an elk, it is the minimum caliber you want to use for them. This is actually a timeless argument, with many posts all over this website about the .270's effectiveness. I personally would prefer a bigger caliber for elk, but there are many guys whom swear by it. For more info on it, check out this topic.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1131541

Doe Dumper 07-28-2005 02:32 AM

I cant imagine life without a 270...lol. Stomp em close or in the next zip code.

Vapodog 07-28-2005 05:24 AM

The .270 Winchester is still among the best selections for western deer and pronghorn hunting you can find and that includes any cartridge on the face of the earth.

Handloaded with premium bullets it's as good as one needs for elk, moose and caribou and African plains game.

It's a relatively light recoiling cartridge available in a light weight gun and if it has a criticism it's that it don't have 175 grain bullets available for it. However the availability of bullets such as the Swift A-Frame make up completely for this shortcoming. If there's a better choice it's the unpopular .280 Remington or possibly the 7MM Rem Mag and the difference isn't great at all.

The .270 Winchester is a great and very powerful cartridge and it's owner should be proud to own such a venerable selection.

Learn to handload but I'd recommend that for a guy with a .338 Magnum as well.

Deersmoker243 07-28-2005 10:16 AM

I use a .270 and although i havent had much luck with it is a very good gun in my opinion. I think it handles well through the woods andhas a nice shot out to 250 yards since that is the farthest i ever shot it i cant tell u any farther then that. It also funcutions good in the cold weathe,r as a lot of rifles do though. So at the end just get what u want.

Virginia7 07-28-2005 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: dogslayer
Convince me to keep my .270 win. Thanks for the input .Or , if you have critisisms of the cartridge , I'd like to know that too .
Found this, also posted by "dogslayer":

I've got a remington 700 in .270 win. , it has true glow sights and leupold bases . It is less than a year old and shoots well . I'm looking for somthing abit smaller ,as I only shoot varmints and targets . Oh , the remington is an adl ? - it does not have a floor plate , and is synthetic stocked . I'd like somthing between .223 and .308 in a short action , somthing that is in as good of condition as my remington . I prefer Savage but will listen to whatever you have to offer . Thanks
First, nothing wrong with the 270Win., it's a great cartridge and good for hunting most any big game in the lower 48. Also usable for varmints, especially so if you handload.
That said however, given your other post it appears you're looking for something else. For varmints, target shooting, and a short action cartridge, I'd look to the 243Win. And though I won't use it for deer or bigger game, many folks do seem to get by with it for deer hunting as well.
If you like the Remington 700, you might want to check out one of the newer Remington 700 SPS models. I believe it's available in 243Win. Then too, the 243Win. is also available from several makers in various target style rifles with heavier barrels which can be better for target/varmint shooting. There's a lot of options out there if you switch to a 243Win. Look around. I'm sure Savage has several models available also. The 243Win. is a very popular chambering.

Gundigest 07-28-2005 10:47 AM

The reason I like 7mms and 30s better is because with reloading theyhave more bullet options and weights than the .270. Other than that it is a good caliber.

8mm/06 07-28-2005 04:00 PM

I'd keep it. Although I don't own one I have always wanted one. Hard to argue with it's proven results.
Try asking yourself this question......
What ISN'T it good for.....? What CAN'T I do with it....?

I think you'll find that your answer tells you it's a pretty usefull medium/small bore hunting rig. If you handload you are even moreequipped.
With bullets from 90 to 160 grains including some great premium bullets in the 130 140 150 and 160 grain variety you have a rifle that can use very available components and is proven, proven, proven.
If I didn't already own so many decent medium/small bore rifles I'd be shopping for a .270. But with several 6.5 X 55's, a .243, a7 X 57, a 300 Savage and a .308, 30/06 and an 8mm/06 the .270 would be just one more in locker that does pretty much what a lot of them do. Granted, it's better than most I mentioned at a lot of things....but I've got the middle/small bore arena failry filled right now.
I SHOULD get at least one smaller than I got and BIGGER than I got....maybe a 22-250 and a 375 H&H???
Keep the .270...fantasticround.

G2 Shooter 07-29-2005 10:59 AM

I will agree with Virginia on your delema of choosing a cartridge. It looks like you need something smaller for what you are doing with it. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with a .270 as I own a .270 Win and a .270 WSM but it appears to be more gun than you need. I would suggest a .223 in a heavy barreled rifle. The recoil will be mild, you have a huge bullet selection and it's an accurate round. The .22-250 is also nice but would be more expensive to feed with factory ammo.

Good luck.