Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 not sure what to do with my 30-30 >

not sure what to do with my 30-30

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

not sure what to do with my 30-30

Old 07-28-2005, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: not sure what to do with my 30-30

I have a winchester 94ae( angle eject) so i won't need the scope so far up. I think i'll take your advice and scrap the scope. I'm going to get a price estimate from a local gun dealer but i won't sell it to him b/c i know i'll be able to get more for it than he says it's worth.
Champlain Islander, thanks for you 2 cents( twice). that part about comb made a lot of sence and was the selling point to me.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:53 PM

The iron sights are very good for fast woods hunting. That's pretty much what you've got in Maine so you're armed just fine. If you absolutly feel that you have to use a scope for any reason then you should continue with the scope. It's not a bad setup on a levergun if it's done properly. I use a 1x4 on one of my 30-30 Win 94's. I used to use a 3x9 but found that I almost always set it to 4 power and left it there. I rarely used the 9 power setting except on really long shots in decent light. My longest kill was a 225 yard shot that ran 30 yards before going down. I just held the crosshairs slightly over it's back and the bullet went through both lungs. It was a rare shot that I don't ever expect to take again but could still do at 4 power. I do use the 1 power setting. It's good for still hunting or anytime you need to get the rifle on target fast at something realy close.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:21 AM

I would take the scope off and limit shots to under 100 yards. If you really want a scope on a Winchester, do what BigBulls suggested and I would suggest the Bushnell Banner Long Eye Relief scopes. Nice scopes for under $100. I'm guessing your Weaver scope is a fixed 4x with short eye relief. You could try selling it and the see through mounts on eBay to offset the cost of another scope and mounts.