Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington model 7 question

Old 09-24-2002, 03:05 PM

Default Remington model 7 question

This weekend I was sighting in my model 7 SS in 7mm-08 and was surprised that after a real good cleaning that I couldn't hit a pie plate at 100 yards? Fired three rounds through the rifle and it was still hitting 6 to 8" high. I made an adjustment to the scope (VARX III 3.5x10) 8 clicks down and all of a sudden I'm now 3" low? Fired another round to make sure that I didn't have the right hold and it was still 3" low. Adjusted the sight 4 clicks up and now I'm right on the bullseye. So I add another 3 clicks and I'm two inches high. So here is my question: When you give a gun a real good cleaning should it take 6 or 8 shots to get the rifle shooting the way it was before? This rifle was originally sighted in for 3" high at 100 yards.
Old 09-24-2002, 04:30 PM

Default RE: Remington model 7 question

are your ring screws tight? what kind of rings and mounts you using?

Old 09-24-2002, 05:00 PM

Leopold.
Groups are fine and the mounts were recently checked. I usually find it is my magnum's that loosen mounts. Last 3 shot group was 1". I read numerous articles that state that when you clean your rifle you should always run a couple of rounds through it, and if you don't you'll most likely end up shooting high.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:40 PM

After cleaning run a couple dry patches through the gun. This will do it with some guns. Others may perform better while a little fouling and may take a couple shots. A general rule for me is on the final sight in session before hunting I don't touch the bore again unless I'm done hunting or it's been exposed to a lot of rain while hunting. Even then I'll run a couple of dry patches and a few rounds through if possible after cleaning.

Old 09-24-2002, 05:59 PM

Borch,
bingo.........I didn't run dry patches. I just used oil on a cleaning patch like the ones used for shotguns. I'm sure I left a lot of oil in the barrel and that probably took a few rounds to burn out.
Old 09-24-2002, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never shoot a rifle with oil in the barrel.As well as changing your point of impact it can cause pressures to rise to very high pressures which can cause damage.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 09/24/2002 22:27:11
Old 09-25-2002, 09:32 AM

Stubblejumper, I wasn't real clear about the oil in the barrel. I should have said that it had a very light amount of gun oil, and it was more than likely in the grooves. What also could have happened here is the barrel just needed a few shots through it to get back its original point of impact. I used a midway 3" adaptor that is made of some type of cotton and put just a little oil on it so I get all of the cleaning solvent out of the barrel.
Curiousity makes me want to ask how much additional pressure would you expect if you did leave oil in the barrel.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Roland-The bullet to barrel fit is a very snug fit.Adding an oil wedge around the circumference of the barrel makes for a tighter fit and more pressure.Would you shoot a gun with water in the barrel?Why not?
Old 09-25-2002, 11:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

So why do they say put a patch with rem oil or what have you through after cleaning, then follow up with a dry patch to remove the excess? I know why, but if it could cause damage or be dangerous, why suggest it? Or maybe I missed something here.

Is this what your refering too?

How often should you use a bore cleaner(copper, brass remover)?

I don't generally touch my guns after final sight in for the season, unless required. But some say to ensure barrel longevity and accuracy they should be cleaned after every shooting session. I do this when just targeting, but I don't during the season. Is this wrong, right, doesn't matter? Any thoughts?

Old 09-26-2002, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

The patch with oil on it helps to remove left over solvents and provides a layer of corrosion protection if the gun is to be stored.The dry patch removes almost all of the oil.You should always remove as much of the oil as possible before firing the rifle.Some people do not dry swab the barrel before firing and large amounts of oil remain in the barrel.This situation is where pressures can climb and problems can arise.If you properly dry swab the barrel before firing there isnot enough oil left in the barrel to cause problems.

Quick Reply: Remington model 7 question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.