HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   I'm beginning to think this site... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/106675-im-beginning-think-site.html)

RedAllison 07-25-2005 05:26 PM

I'm beginning to think this site...

is getting an overly opinionated audience of pansies who fear anykind of caliber larger than a 30/06 and God forbid it contain the word "magnum" in its title.

I simply can't understand where it comes from, if a man is interested, wants, already uses or recommends a magnum too another hunter what in the world is wrong with that? Are some so small, weak and "skeert" that they fear something with over 70 grains of smokeless powder in it will render itself, the shooter and any bystander within one block of it DEAD with one mere pull of the trigger? God forbid if that mag has a muzzlebrake on it, hell if one listens too some they might believe such rigs are capable of producing mushroom clouds at the shot!

Now I'm not talking about the guys who chose NOT to shoot mags for various reasons, they aren't the people who seem to pipe up and downplay mags. Not every caliber I have in my safe and carry afield is a magnum, BUT alot are and I enjoy them. In the areas I hunt there must be ALOT of guys who feel like I do as well because ALOT of WSMs, WBY MAGs and the various "supermags" are getting alot of use and recommendations. So where are all these guys on here that constantly bash magnums and their owners or anyone interested in one?

If a man is content and adequate with his 30/30 then that is FINE by me and he is welcome in my camp anytime. BUT I likewise expect common courtesy when I whip out my whizbang, laserflat, supersmasher. I just can't understand why a few on here can't get over such choices and choose to put modern technology too work for them in what is supposed to be a "recreational pastime". I thought we ALL needed to stick together for our sport to survive, but sheesh what chances do our kids have when a few among the populace can't even stand for someone to have a gun that is more capable than their chosen weapon of choice?

RA

UThunter 07-25-2005 05:36 PM

RE: I'm beginning to think this site...

well said

North Texan 07-25-2005 05:39 PM

Well, back at ya![8D]

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, like it or not. This is like politics, the people that are the most vocal are on the extremes. Some like magnums extremely well, some had magnums extremely bad. I'm not a magnum guy, but I've got no use for one. Not to say I mightnot own one in the future, but right now I can't afford to shoot anything that requires one.

[8D]
Jeff

johnch 07-25-2005 05:53 PM

IMO a magnum is a excuse for poor hunting skills for SOME .
I am to lazy to get any closer or I can't tell 200 from 400 so I will just shoot this big BOOMER

Some like the amount of blood shot meat they get
Others it is a ego thing ,mine will shoot farther and faster than yours

I shoot a 257 AI for deer and a 338/06 for anything bigger.
I have never had to shoot a deer or anything else farther than 300 yds so I see no need for a magnum.

Johnch

charlie brown 07-25-2005 06:50 PM

I am one of the ones that don't have any magnum cartridges in my gun cabinet. No need to really. If someone wants to use a Mag, Supermag, whatever, its their choice. I shoot a .30-06 and an 8mm Mauser. There is really no NEED for anything larger, though it would probably be nice in certain situations, and I doubt I will have a chance anytime soon to chase the big bears. It just seems like there are a lot of people out there, some I know personally, some I don't, are getting more and more lazy by the year. I have had people tell me they won't pull the trigger on something if they can't basically step out of the truck, drop it, pick it up, and walk back to the truck. People who seem to have lost the skill of hunting, and hope they can make that up by being able to shoot a little farther when the animals just won't stay close to the road. Problem is, people don't take the time to practice with these cartridges (or any other cartridge for that matter), which ends up with a lot of wounded game.Once, I watched a personshoot a deer, watched the deer run up a hill, with a group, and watch the deer fall down (probably after a solid 300 yards or so, I would imagine the shot was in the neighborhood of 300 yards still), and the hunters do nothing about it. We go and tell the people that the deer went down, and they are like "Oh, well, we didn't see it." So we went and told the GW, but by that time itmay have been too late anyway.

Sorry to be so long winded, but my beef with these new Magnums is not the guns themselves, but the lack of disipline people use when they get one, and the way companies market them to sound like they are the greatest things since sliced bread.

halcon 07-25-2005 06:57 PM

Red are you trying to say there are to many opinionated people ,to quick to judge others by thier own preferences and toself envolvedto realize that most shooters could care less that they don't like what thier shooting . Is that what your trying to say ? well just spit it on out .

ButchA 07-25-2005 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: RedAllison
If a man is content and adequate with his 30/30 then that is FINE by me and he is welcome in my camp anytime.
Well said, Red.... Well said! I can go anywhere, deep into the woods, into the thickest of heavy brush and not worry one bit. This trusty rifle of mine will drop anything in its tracks within 100 yards easy. A niceold Marlin 30AS 30-30 with an even older Glenfield 4x32 scope on a weaver base.

winchester_1300 07-25-2005 07:19 PM

u guys think that a rifle kicks try a old ten gauge double barrel, ive seen 400 pound guys get their shoulder knock out of place them.

trailer 07-25-2005 07:45 PM

I guess I must have missed allot of this controversy but I don’t see any reason why what one hunter uses should bother another. So one guy likes to use a magnum and the other doesn’t. SO WHAT. To each his own.

bigcountry 07-25-2005 08:14 PM

Its generally the same ole audience echoing the same thing about magnums. Very small crowd. Some have very valid points. But all who scream against just don't get the simple point. And that is once you have any centerfire that produces over 1000ft-lbs of energy, your overkill and have a significant advantage over deer and anything over that is just plain fun. It also very bothersome for some people not shoot what they shoot. It makes them feel inferior. You know how I know? Cause when I couldn't afford anything but one gun, a 270win, I dogged anyone coming into deer camp that had anything greater. Why? I was young, jealous, and all the sudden my 270 felt very inadequate. Now over the years, of course I have found this not to be true aquireing 10 to 20 different caliber's. Its all just fun.

If Mossy was reading this, he would just say, "it doesn't matter how many guns you have, BC your still only going to take that stupid slug gun out".:D. I have been on this sluggun kick for 3 or 4 years now and he likes to make fun of me. Hey, don't mess with anything when you are on a roll.