Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning, Weatherby, or Remington >

Browning, Weatherby, or Remington

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning, Weatherby, or Remington

Old 07-25-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Browning, Weatherby, or Remington

Hello everyone,
Well, I've narrowed down my choice of rifle between a Browning 338 win. mag. A-Bolt, Weatherby 340 wby mag Accumark, and a Remington Custom 700 in 340 wby mag.I'm going to use this for big North American game (Moose, Elk, grizzly.) Which one would you go with. I like the detachable magazine on the Browning and more available 338 win. mag. cartridge. But I also like the fluted barrel of the Weatherby, along with the safety features incase of blown cartridge. And the Remington would be a sweet choice, except that it's price on request (that can't be good) and has a blued action.

Almost forgot, these are all left handed bolt action, so please don't suggest others. Since I've done a lot of looking just trying to find these.

Let me know, thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Browning, Weatherby, or Remington

In my opinion you can't go wrong with Weatherby. I own an Accumark in 7mm Rem. mag.and it is a real workhorse.

On the safety features I trust Weatherby very much, a friend of mine had a blown up cartridge in a Lazermark a few years ago and the gases escaped on the side of the bolt and away from his face.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 07-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have both a Browning A-Bolt and a Weatherby Mark IV. I like both guns alot. The Weatherby has a little better quality and I think makes a little better magnum gun. Both have short bolt throws which I like. My Weatherby is in .300 wby mag with the A-Bolt in .308 win.. Both are fine shooting guns but, for me the Weatherby is the better shooter. I think both are a very good choice. I would give a slight edge to the Weatherby.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:55 PM

Either of the cartridges you are looking at are AWESOME game stoppers and the 340 can really be woken up with reloads. BUT since you are talking about truly big game I think you might want to reconsider the Accumark because it is not what I would consider a "lightweight, carry rifle". I wouldn't want to carry it allover the Rockies for elk. I don't know which 700Custom you are talking about, but if it is a synthetic lightweight with a reasonable barrel length (I would prefer a 24"er max a mountain rifle) then yeah go for it. I know a plain jane ol Abolt stalker is a reasonable mountain rifle and I probably would go with it out of the 3 you mentioned.

Let us know,
RA

ps
I too have both an Abolt (SS Stalker, 26" 7mag) and a Mark V (Deluxe, 26" 300Wby) and they too are both lefthanded. But they are obviously on different ends of the spectrum with regards to what I personally would use them for. The Deluxe is an heirloom of my recently deceased step-father (he also gave me the Abolt a couple of years ago) and I am hesitant to carry it out but in clear conditions and then being careful. The SS Abolt is a tough, true "hunting gun" that can take the abuse without worry about damage or scratches.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd give Weatherby the nod and not in a lightweight model either considering the cartridge you're interested in.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would be looking atone of the productionstainless 700's in 338win mag or if you really want punch the 338ultramag.If you are going to spend the money on an accumark the sako 75 is a great choice.The accumark comes with a 1-1/2" accuracy guarantee but the sako rifles must shoot 1" groups before being sold.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Of the three I'd pick the A-Bolt Browning.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Easy, get the Browning.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

My A-bolts have always been good shooters and have never let me down.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Typical Buck

I would go with the Weatherby, I love the MK V action. The only thing I don't like is how expensive ammo is.

Quick Reply: Browning, Weatherby, or Remington

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.