Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 back bored Moisin/nagant >

back bored Moisin/nagant

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

back bored Moisin/nagant

Old 07-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default back bored Moisin/nagant

I recently bought a M38 moisin nagant from SOG.(cheap)
When it came I was sort of dissapointed becuse it was so crude. I know the Russians aren't known for nice stuff but this is terrible. Looks like a drunk beaver inlet the stock and the muzzle has been back-bored about 1 1/2 inch's a lot bigger than the bullet size.
I thought "this is the absolute worst C&R I have ever bought", till I shot it.
There was a 4 inch steel plate 128 paces from the table we shoot off of and I hit it 10 for 10.
I'm thinking maybe there is something to this back boring. I know in this case it was to clean up the muzzle from improper cleaning, but does anyone have any info or know of a web sight that might discuss this?
Old 07-16-2005, 09:48 PM

Default RE: back bored Moisin/nagant

I think you mean "counterbored" instead of "backbored". Counterboring is a cost efective way of cleaning up a worn muzzle and putting a weapon back in service. If it is done on a lathe, at an armory, it works very well. If it is done between some peasant's knees with a dull drill bit, it is a pretty useless procedure.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

if it shoots good dont worry about it atleast you have some steel in between the crown and the end of the barrel should protect that crown very well.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

I realize that it is truley counterbored but around here we refer to it as back boring ,as in backboring a shotgun. It's a matter of symantics.
My point is, does anyone know of this being triedon a gun in good condition to see the results. Does anyone know of test being done. I suppose it could be like adding a compinsator without th holes.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point is, does anyone know of this being tried on a gun in good condition to see the results. Does anyone know of test being done. I suppose it could be like adding a compinsator without th holes.

There really isn't any good reason to counterbore a non-military rifle. If for some reason the rifling gets banged up or wore down, its easier to just cut a 1/2" off a barrel and recrown, this is somethign that can be easily done at home with satisfactory results.

Military rifles were usually counterbored in order that the sights wouldn't have to be moved and reregulated and the last inch or so of a barrel was usually where a bayonet was mounted, except in the case of the M38 MN.

I've tried to counterbore a badly worn M44 once, but ended up botching the job. I ended up cutting about 1/2" off the barrel and cutting a new crown which did improve it a bit.

Another thing to think about- if a barrel has had enough use to necessitate a counterbore, the rest of the barrel is probably chewed up by corrosive ammo and the lands are more than likely rounded off at that point also. I also have a counterbored M38 which I currently consider a wallhanger- it won't hit a sheet of typing paper at 50 yards consistantly, 3 out fo the 4 mosin nagants I curretnly own don't shoot much better, but I have non-counterbored 91/30 that shoots respectably well.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anotehr thought I have too is this: I don't even screw around with mosin nagants anymore to try to accurize them. A person with a C&R can buy a Swiss K-31 for about the same price as a Mosin and have a rifle that has the potential to outshoot every other rifle he owns. I've always said that a mosin nagant is basicly something that can be used as a spear that also happens to fire bullets, but a Swiss rifle is a rifle fit for a rifleman.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

I have a K31 and know what you mean about being an accurate rifle.
I own several MN's and this piece of junk outshoots the rest of them and it is the only one that has been counterbored.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mosin nagants tend to be very inconsistantly made as well. They are supposed to have a nominal groove diameter of .310" but I have one that is .315." Amazingly enough, the one rifle that shoots better than the rest has a groove diameter of .314" has a rough bore and isn't counterbored. If I get one that shoots good out of the box, I shoot it, if it doesn't shoot well, I don't even waste my time on it. Mausers I will tinker with though.

If you have rifles that aren't counterbored, you can touch up the crown very easily if the rifling looks badly worn. Take a cariage bolt, chuck it up in a drill, apply valve grinding paste to the bolt head and grind away at the muzzle until it has a dished out appearance. Take a file and dress the outside edges of the crown if you wish. Best to plug the muzzle with a rag or earplug to keep the grit out of the bore.

If you wqant to cut a bit off the barrel, use a pipe cutter to cut until just short of breaking through to the bore, then finish the job with a hacksaw. Use the carriage bolt/grinding past to cut a new crown.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Briman, thanks for the tip about the carriage bolt, they are cheap and come in several sizes.I have been using a ball bearing thatI silversoldered to a 1/4" cold rolled rod. The few timesI have used it it works pretty well.
I start with 150grit and end with 600 or 800 grit depending on how it looks.