Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 how many of you would >

how many of you would

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

how many of you would

Old 07-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many of you would

I'd like to know who started this "Texas heart shot " thing.
I've been here almost 40 yrs and I have hunted with many different people, ol timers, youngsters and all in between. I've never heard any one recomend this shot. we just dont do that here in Texas. We have actually heard about this, but i think this comes from up north, not down here.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would either wait for a different shot or be ready and bleat .
The buck will look ,if only for a second.

I have never taken the shot , but I have helped others that did.
A 44 mag will due the job at that range but make gutting a mess.
Also a Texas Heart shot leaves a real poor blood trail.

Johnch
Old 07-12-2005, 09:50 PM

Haven't had to take that shot yet. But, if I had too with a 44mag I would be shooting hard cast bullets.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

I'm with the crowd. I just can't justify takinga chance like that.Having patience and good shot-placement are at the top of a responsible hunter's list.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't take that shot with a 458 Winchester much less with a 44 mag. Just a plain stupid shot only an idiot would attempt.

The only acceptable exception being a follow up shot at an animal running away from you.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too would like to know where this supposed "Texas heart shot" comes from! It sure as hell is not from Texas!
Being a native Texan, I've only seen this once! And that was by accident, and as I recall it was aforeigner doing the shooting!
I don't, and never will need a deer that bad! I've heard all the excuses, "it was the only available shot", " biggest buck I've ever seen, so I took the chance!"
An irresponsible shot, is an irresponsible shot! Whether its at a trophy buck, or an old doe!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had it happen once accidentally, under normal circumstances I would never do it and would advise against it even if you know your bullet can do it and put the animal down cleanly. The only time I might do it purposely is if the deer is a absolute trophy buck of a lifetime and it was the only shot possible.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 AM

hey guys thanks for all the replys. just to make clear i wasnt sayin that i would do this i was asking to see what you guys thought. i figured most of the replys would come out like this. im honestly not sure where i heard the texas heart shot thing and i am sorry if i offended any of you. also how do you guys feel about the 44 on deer. if i can accurately place the bullet how far out would you shoot. chuck hawks site says you should be able to keep the bullets in an 8 inch circle. i dont worhsip him but i do respect what he says. what do you guys think. once again thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 07:27 AM

never have, but it would depend on circumstances - how hungry am I? how much time left in the season? My neightbor gut shot a deer last year (twice), my dogs wouldn't even eat it.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dukebh40
I've seen your retractions so this is notaimed at you.

I'm with zrexpilot & JagMagMan, this is NOT a habit of
Texas hunters. I too have only heard of this type of shooting
frompeople from other areas who attach this false moniker. [:'(]
Who knows why people do irresponsible things, much less
how they justify it.

PKnTX

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.