Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Got a new rifle... >

Got a new rifle...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Got a new rifle...

Old 07-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default Got a new rifle...

Just got a new Ruger K77/17 in .17 HMR. Put in a new trigger sear, to lighten it to around 1.5-2 Lbs. And fitted it with a GuidGear (Barska) 6.5-20x50 scope. Can't wait to shoot it on Saturday morning. So excited I just had to let everyone know. Hopefully the picture loads up, been having trouble with that lately.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Got a new rifle...

Nice gun. I'm curious, what is that little round used for?
Old 07-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

Nice Rig.

Be sure to post some targets.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the exact same riflechambered in 22-mag & 25-06. They are both great shooters. You are going to love that 17-HMR
Old 07-01-2005, 09:50 AM

how much did it cost?
Old 07-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking gun,how is that scope,I see them in the sportsmans guide all the time but have never bought one.
I have the same gun in 25-06,great shooter.I'm still not convinenced on the 17 hmr everyone raves about them,but I already have a 22 wm and if its farther than 150,I use my .223.
BBJ
Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

A friend just bought the same gun and the same scope a couple months ago. It's a blast to shoot!
Old 07-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see the cat liked it also
Old 07-01-2005, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

Just got back from the range. Don't have pictures of the targets. Got home early from work and quick grabbed the gun, then headed to the range. It was very neat to shoot. It has the feel and weight of a large centerfire rifle. From what I've been reading I didn't expect a kick but it had a very small one. kind of like the kick from a .22lr Stinger. BUT there was no muzzle flash. Also I thought the sound was neat. It was as loud as a .22lr (high velocity) but didn't have a "crack" of a .22lr. The sound was more like a centerfire "thud". (I never shot one or saw anyone shoot one, that is why I am explaining all this. Mostly because I shot it and it was nothing like I expected from what I've read) I only had time to sight it in a 50 yrds. Since I didn't use a bore sighter, I just took 4 quick shots at 25 yrds then moved on to 50. The odd thing was that Iwas zeroed in at 25 and when I moved to 50 I was 3 inches high. Never had that happen with a .22lr.. the further I moved out the higher I had to adjust the sights.. Funny thing is when I first shot at the 25 yrd target I was 3 inches low.. so the adjustments I made at the 25 were reversed for 50 yrds.

To answer some questions. I'm going to use this round for squirrel (head shots), groundhogs, crows, fox, anddepending on the penetration I get, coyotes. Here the coyote don't grow too big. Stay around 35 Lbs. I got the gun for $450 at Walmart, I had the sling ($10) and the scope was $70 after shipping and what not. It's a "GuideGear" but when you open the box all the warranties say Barska. It's descent for the money and should do fine with .17 HMR and .22lr. Don't know if I'd want to shoot it on a hard kicking gun.

The only thing I don't like about it are these "Ruger Rings". I rather have Leopold rings. Luckily my old rifle coach is a machinist. So I'll probably have him set it up on the Bridgeport and drill and tap it, then make up some proper bases for it. Also the barrel heated up like a centerfire. After 10 shots the barrel was hot to the touch. Although it didn't effect the accuracy, but as it heated the shots moved down and to the right. Then moved back once I let it cool. So I had to sight it in like I sight in the .308. 2 shots, let it cool, 2 shots, let it cool.

All in all, I got a kick out of it and it should do me well in the field come hunting time. Guess it's time to go out and get my license again. When I get the chance (at latest this comming Wednesday night) I'll shoot a little and post pics of the groups I get.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:08 PM

1564 what is wrong with the Ruger rings? They are stronger and less problematic than a standard Leupold base and ring setup. I have NEVER had a failure with a Ruger ring and one of my 77s is a 7mag that is nearly 20 years old and it has held onto a 4x12x40 Nikonsince day one and without so much as a slightly loose stud.

The 17 is a GREAT caliber. Yes you will have to shoot squirrels in the head simply because it will cut one in half with a body shot! I have shot 12" steel discs at 300yds with the 17 so you would be surprised how far you can plink around with em.

Great lookin rig too,
RA

Quick Reply: Got a new rifle...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.