Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 qustion about .17hmr >

qustion about .17hmr

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

qustion about .17hmr

Old 06-30-2005, 07:20 AM

Default RE: qustion about .17hmr

First you state that you know all about gun safety, then in another post you state you want to shoot your .22 in your basement? My advice for you is to put the gun back in the box, lock in a secure place and don't touch it again until you (1) take a good shooter safety education course, and (2) read the instruction manual completely over and over again until you FULLY understand everything in it.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:44 AM

i have a friend that shoots his ar-15 and his 1911 in his basement wich is smaller than mine and he just got out of the USMC. your telling me he is a little kid and dosnt know anything about gun saftey?? HA!

i dont plan on only shooting in my basement, maybe like 10times at most.

^ and yes i do know know about gun saftey but thanks for your opinion.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:33 AM

i have a friend that shoots his ar-15 and his 1911 in his basement wich is smaller than mine and he just got out of the USMC. your telling me he is a little kid and dosnt know anything about gun saftey?? HA!
If he shoots an AR-15 and his 1911 in his basement, he kows nothing about gun safety. Words cannot describe how dumb that is. What is he shooting into?

^ and yes i do know know about gun saftey but thanks for your opinion
You sure about that?
Old 06-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, you really need to rethink your plans, ajg. Even if you don't shoot holes through your foundation or get hit with a ricochet, you'll be breathing inpowder residue and lead dust. Indoor ranges are built according to very strict and specific safety guidelines, and for a reason.

You're flirting disaster....

And about your friend. Being a Marine doesn't make you a weapons expert--it makes you a rifleman. Perhaps he knows how to blow the living Sheisse out of someone on the battlefield, but based on what you've written, he's certainly nowhere near being a qualified range safety officer or engineer.

and yes i do know know about gun saftey but thanks for your opinion.
Believe me; you can never know too much. And it's critical to keep fresh. Read your manuals often, practice safety every single time you handle a firearm. Life is not a game.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:11 AM

idk but something safe probably. he said it shook his whole house when he shot it. he only shot it 3 times to break in the barrel.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

idk but something safe probably.
Unless you're an engineer or otherwise technically-inclined builder comforming to published NRA range safety standards, "safe basement range" is an oxymoron.

he said it shook his whole house when he shot it.
A bit of advice: ranges aren't supposed to shake.

he only shot it 3 times to break in the barrel.
Now this point is debatable, but many experts who recommend "breaking in" a rifle barrel call for several more than just three rounds. One round, clean with strong solvent, oneround, clean with strong solvent, and on and on and on....

Like I said, Marines are the supermen of the firearms world. They're just damned fine combat personnel.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ajg, you getting a lot of good advice here. You might want to read alot of the gun and shooting threads. Experimentation is not the way to learn about guns. Experiments go wrong and when they do with guns, people get hurt. Everybody on this board loves to shoot and none of us get enough shooting due to time and space restrictions and budget. If your in an area of New York that doesn't allow shooting, find a supervised range somewhere with a safety officer and join or maybe volunteer your time for some shooting time. Good luck to you.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:59 AM

i live where its legall to shoot guns, but i live in a neighborhood, so i can shoot in my yard. i was wondering if i could just go drive somewhere where theres woods and shoot. i know south of here its basically all woods and hills. you think i could legally shoot there?
Old 06-30-2005, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ajg2425,
As has already been said, you have received alot of good
advice from people who are trying to help you. You seem
to be ignoring it. Take some time to get to know
(as in study/read) about firearms, your own in particular.
Take a shooters safety course. Go to a legalshooting range
or safe place with owner permission to practice. Please listen to what the goodand experienced people here are telling you.
The life you save may be your own, but just as important,
it may be someone elses.

PKnTX
Old 06-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

One thing to consider, ajg: if you go shooting on someone else's property without stopping to ask permission, that property owner might come up on you and start doing a little shooting himself.

Play by the rules or prepare to pay the consequences.

Quick Reply: qustion about .17hmr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.