Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 09-25-2002, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whitetail Deer Rifle

bigcountry, from a scientific stndpoint you and I both know there is no cartridge/bullet combination that will bore through brush without having the flightpath altered. That is a given and has been proven many times. My whole point was that there is no such thing as a "brush busting" cartridge and I will stand by that statement.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bigcountry, there is no such thing as a brush busting" caliber!
Yes, some calibers and/or bullet types may deflect less than others but ALL will deflect enough to miss the deer or worse, wound it! To promote the brush buster myth, just leads to a false confidence, which leads to bad shots and wounded animals! We are not bending light here, we are hunting, and out of respect for game animals, we owe it to them not to take any shots that are not clearly unobstructed!
I'll also stand by my statement that the 30-30 is a short range gun, and it is certainly not a beginners gun either! The 30-30 may have killed more deer than any other caliber, it may have killed more than all others combined, but that doesn't make it "the best!" It doesn't even make it a "good" deer caliber! When compared to the 30 or 40 newer, and better calibers on the market today, it falls way short of being good!
Old 09-25-2002, 10:35 AM
bigcountry

Ok, guys, I guess nobody has every did things that are the least bit wrong while hunting. I guess nobody has ever, when they were kids, tried out the brush busting theory and it worked. Not once, but several times. Should I have done it? Was it perfectly ethical? I guess I am the only one that has did these things and all other hunters are perfect people. I bet no one here but me has maybe shot a litte too early. Everyone else is perfect.

Well, if you are perfect Jagman, I congradulate you, but us mere mortals, make a few mistakes here and there. It is just when someone makes the statement, with so much "as a matter of fact", that I will jump in and say "not exactly". No reason going thru life being ignorant of the fact just cause someone that I maybe met once wrote their opinion in a stupid magizine. So Jag man, if you busted a 12lb cannon ball at 100fps into a briar patch, how much do you think it would deflect? Prabably what we call negliable. Now take that same cannon ball and speed it up to 4000 fps. Not so negliable anymore.

Actually JagMan, we are bending light here. It comes all from the same basis of statics and dynamics. You can take the same formulas and put them to work in frequency domain in light as you can with RF waves. Hence, how you and others get to type on those fancy bullistic calculators to figure your drop and drift. Same thing.

Old 09-25-2002, 10:57 AM

Jag, the main thing that makes a gun good is the shooter behind it. Put a bad shooter behind a 30-06, 308, 7mm ect, And I will out shoot him with my 30-30, hell even put a good shooter behind one. If you feel you need a giant gun to be a good deer hunter than go ahead. But I'm fine and content with my 30-30.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 09-25-2002, 07:47 PM

oh frizz.are you going to tell me a 243 is as good
as a 338 winn?in brush. wow

there are reports out there that go throw all cartridges,
and shows the best.to the worst. for yes crashing brush.
the top .

Old 09-25-2002, 09:13 PM

Quilly
The problem with your statement about the 30-30 as killing more deer and then wounding more is this. The blame is on the hunter and not the 30-30. Many try and shoot farther then the 30-30’s limit. And that is where the problem is. The 30-30 within it’s range, say 150 yards will put a buck down if the shooter does his part and places the bullet in the right place.

The 30-30 is at it’s best in heavily wooded areas and actually has an advantage over a longer barreled 22 or 24 inch hunting rifle. It is short and easy to carry and is quick to come up to the solder. It has a fast follow up shot when needed. If the 30-30 win is used as it should be, then it is a great first rifle. Want to see a great Article on the 30-30 ? Then Click the link below.

Http//:www.sixgunner.com/mcpherson/3030.htm

Nuf said.

Hornrt Man

Hornet Man
Old 09-25-2002, 09:48 PM

Good post Hornet Man. People need to realize that any gun is only as good as the shooter behind it.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, that wasn't what I was saying. My whole point is that one should wait for an open shot and not even attempt brush crashing, period. Then it won't matter what cartridge you are using, will it? By the way, I personally witnessed a 375 RUM deflect through heavy brush enough to miss a target that was placed 10 feet behind it. Again, there is no such thing as a brush busting cartridge. You may be able to get lucky from time to time, but sooner or later the unethical behavior will bite you in the butt.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:03 AM

Sorry Frizzellr

You said what you said! Your Quote is below.

3030win, not trying to bust your chops but the 30-30 Win is not perfect for anything, even though most rifles chambered in 30-30 make fine door props.

And that is that. Lets not slam others on this post. One persons DOOR PROP IS ANOTHER PERSONS TREASURE.

Hornet Man

Hornet Man
Old 09-26-2002, 08:16 AM
bigcountry

Just curious Frizz, and Jagman, have you ever missed any game or got a bad shot??

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.