Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Zrex best deer round .243 >

Zrex best deer round .243

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Zrex best deer round .243

Old 06-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Zrex best deer round .243

So pray tell, James, how do you handle those 45 70 handloads... got a super duper recoil pad?
Old 06-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Zrex, I'm just curious, do you aim Above the shoulder, Through,
Behind or Infront? Do you ever shoot neck shots on Bucks or Does?
Do you ever shoot head shots?
All of the above. LOL
but really, head shots are rare for me but I will do it ,not much though. Neck shots I love, on bigger deer. Most of the does in my area average around 90 lbs so they have tiny necks, I'll shoot most everything behind the shoulder ( double lung) I get the heart sometimes, sometimesI clip the top of the heart but always get lungs.
A double lung deer never goes farther than 40 yds with the .243
I havent tried the high shoulder shot, but I will this year, yall talk about so greatly, I'm gonna try it. heres couple of descent bucks from the year before.
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=459864&mpage=1&key=

Old 06-26-2005, 01:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was looking around at Cabelas one day and saw a slip-on recoil pad called The Shooter Friend. Its a super soft and pretty thick but on the outside on the butt end its about three inches wide. Its also slightly concaved on the inside and leaves a little space between the steel but plate of the rifle and the inside of the pad. This thing really works. They claim it takes away 70 percent of the felt recoil. I believe it does. I also wear the Past Magnum recoil shield on the shoulder. I also make sure I have a good heavy padded shirt on. This might sound extreme but I am shooting 500 grain cast RN bullets from the Buffalo Classic. The rifle only weights eight lbs. Right now I am shooting Black Powder. Goex 2F. As much as I can get in the case. Trying for 70 grains. Not easy as this rifle has a short throat and I have to seat the 500 grainers pretty deep. I am also working with some smokless loads with 5744 powder. I am getting about 1300 fps from the 500 grainers with black powder. About the same load that nearly wiped out the buffalo herds.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

.243 Winchester
During its development, this one was called the 6mm Winchester, but when introduced in 1955, its name had been changed to .243 Winchester. The .243 along with the 7mm-08 Remington and the .358 Winchester, are offspring of the .308 Winchester case. Of the many new cartridges introduced since World War II, the .243 and the 7mm Remington Magnum probably gained quicker and wider acceptance by hunters around the world than any other cartridge.

As popular opinion long had it, the .243 and the other 6mm cartridges of like performance shot flatter, bucked wind better, and delivered more energy to distant targets than cartridges of smaller caliber such as the .22-250 and .220 Swift. But the argument ends fast when the topic of conversation turns to flexibility. After varmint season is over, a rifle in .243 can switch roles and becomes a deer rifle, something that can not be said of a rifle of smaller caliber.

The .243 Winchester has a reputation for excellent accuracy, mainly because of the many excellent bullets available for it and because most shooters find it a pleasant cartridge to shoot. For loading varmint weight bullets up to 87 grains, H380, IMR-4064, and IMR-4320 do a fine job. For big game loads with 90 to 101 grain bullets, H4831, H450, H4350, H414, IMR-4350, and IMR-4831 are good choices.

Source: Hodgdon Data Manual, 26th Edition
[hr]
Historical Notes:

The 243 Winchester was introduced by Winchester in 1955 for their Model 70 bolt action and model 88 lever action rifles. The 243 was quickly adopted by Savage for their Model 99 lever and Model 110 bolt action rifles. All of the British and European manufacturers began chambering bolt action rifles for this round. In fact, even Remington, who developed their own 6mm, had to recognize the popularity of the 243 and started chambering their rifles for it. The 243 (6mm) Winchester is nothing more than the 308 Winchester case necked down. Original development and publicity was due largely to the efforts of gun writer, the late Warren Page, who along with other wildcatters worked out a similar version before Winchester. The 243 is probably chambered in more different rifles than any other cartridge, except possibly the 30-06 Springfield. All other manufacturers of rifles offer this caliber.

General Comments:

The 243 Winchester represents a successful effort to develop light deer rifle caliber that could hold its own with the high velocity 22's for long range use on small targets and still be adequate for larger animals. The 243 does this job well. It eliminates the need to own two rifles for anything from small game and pests up to and including deer size animals. The 257 Roberts and the 250-3000 Savage are supposed to cover the same range and certainly do. However, the 25 caliber bullets don't have the same sectional density for long range varmint shooting until bullet weights get up to 120 grains., and then the velocity falls off badly All major domestic and overseas manufacturers of commercial ammunition offer this caliber. Its popularity as a deer caliber has prevailed over its varmint capabilities.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got my 243 back yesterday. Had it loaned out to a girl just starting to hunt. I am gonna work on a deer load for it to try out maybe once o twice. Has anyone here ever used the Nosler Solid Base 100 gr's? I have a box of those and was gonna try the 4831sc I have with it first and if that didnt work the h4350. Dad bought it for me for my first deer rifle and I never liked it but since he is gone I figured I would give it a try one day this year. I never had much luck with factory loads so maybe the Nosler will get it done.

I will have to say from looking at this rifle....which is an 81 model adl that it seems tobe put together quite a bit better than my 96 and 03 adl's. However the newer ones do group better. Weird how that works...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know all that much about bullet design but you want a bullet to expand. That nosler sounds like a tough bullet. Deer just arent that tough a critter. Ive had good luck with hornady's and ( federal whichis loaded with sierra's )
Old 06-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nah I dont think its anything real tough...looks like a good design though....heres a link. Its an older bullet design they just started making again. I didnt have any luck with the Sierras though.

http://www.nosler.com/solidbase.html
Old 06-27-2005, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like a good bullet. Dont see a problem
Old 06-27-2005, 03:14 PM

I own two243's andconsider them excellent deer rifles to 300 yards. The oldSako has registered 43 one shot kills on deer. There is no perfect deer caliber IMHO. It's where you put the bullet that counts. My favorite deer rifle is a Steyr mod M 7x57 that's 37 years old. If you want to pound your body, the '06 and 7magare good.

I load 44gr IMR 4831 with the 95gr CTBT...chronies at 3020. regards, Rick.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm, I might try this recipie. EJ

Quick Reply: Zrex best deer round .243

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.