HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Getting frustrated! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/103488-getting-frustrated.html)

DoubleLungUm 06-21-2005 12:18 PM

Getting frustrated!

I just got my first deer rifle and took it out to sight it in....the first day i was golding quarter groups at 50yds:D.....then when i move back to 100 i find my shots spread out all over the place (this is on a dead steady rest)[:@]..... Im shooting a Rem. 7600 pump action 30-06....does anyone know whats happening....im starting to think my gun is defective?

Virginia7 06-21-2005 12:40 PM

RE: Getting frustrated!

Not much info. to work with here, but first try some different ammo. Every rifle is different, and has likes/dislikes when it comes to various brands of ammo and different bullet weights.
Check your scope mounts/screws.
Maybe have another shooter give it a try.

DoubleLungUm 06-21-2005 12:53 PM

Ive tried Winchesters, Rem. Core Lokt, and Federal Premiums........my scope mounts are fine, ive relized i did alot of shooting that day and im thinking my gun was over-heated.....what do u think about that?.......Thanks for your reply

longrifle1000 06-21-2005 12:58 PM

A hot barrel will open up groups. But even a hot barrel will only open up a bit. What weight slugs are you shooting? What size groups are you getting? How windy is it? What is the temp.? What are you resting the gun on, and where?

nchawkeye 06-21-2005 01:03 PM

Don't get frustrated...sounds like you are just getting started...I doubt if there is anything wrong with the gun...possible you shot enough at 50 that you were fiinching a bit at 100...Next time out start at 100 and see if you do better...if not...let an experienced shooter try and see if he can do better...if he does...let him "load" the gun between shots...with you not knowing if the gun is actually loaded or not, shoot a group...if you are flinching...you will know soon enough....Good Luck

DoubleLungUm 06-21-2005 01:13 PM

LongRifle.............Im using 160Grain winchesters from 100yds. Im not so sure about the wind but i know it was freezing at the time.....im using an anti kick dead steady rest so i know im not flinching... My groups ranged from about 4 or 5 inches apart (4 or 5 inches between each bullet hole)......:(

longrifle1000 06-21-2005 01:46 PM

I am guessing that you meant 150 or 165 gr. Winchester doesn't have any 160 gr loads in 30-06. I would try using a different weight bullet. Try the 125's, and 180's. See if that changes anything. I would definitely be getting out and shooting more if the last time you shot it was freezing. Hvae you tried cleaning the gun?

broey1 06-21-2005 01:55 PM

how big are your groups at 100yds........ if you can pepper a paper plate at 100yds, don't worry about the groups at this point. If you are just getting started, you probably won't be shooting 1/2 groups!

A peppered paper plate at 100-150 yards means 95% of your deer will be dead! At least if you are hunting east of the Mississippi.

CZ2506 06-21-2005 02:01 PM

Are the holes round or elongated? I would certainly try other bullet weights. Make sure your cheek is on the stock in the same place; you could have a paralax problem in the scope.

blueturkey 06-21-2005 02:13 PM

As CZ2506 said,--be sure to check the paralax. It won't give much if any problem in close, but move to a longer range and the impact could and would be all over the place. Even the best scopes can be defective.