Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New re-designed Simmons and Redfield scopes >

New re-designed Simmons and Redfield scopes

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New re-designed Simmons and Redfield scopes

Old 06-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New re-designed Simmons and Redfield scopes

I will prefer ironsights before buying any of this two scopes.

Simmons are cheaply made, have poor eye relief and virtually no quality......bottomline....crap!

On the other hand Redfield haven't made a decent scope in decades. I don't think they're gonna start doing them now.......
Old 06-27-2005, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had some of the Aetecs for quite a few years. Simmons makes some cheap scopes and some very good scopes. A little research will show this to be true. The Aetec has very good reviews over a number of years and has more eye reliefe that anything else out there with 5 inches of non critical eye relief. I have used them hard and have yet to see a problem ONE.

The new ones will have less eye relief and will have eye relief simular to the Leupolds. I will try a new one before I recommend or condem them, unlike many on this forum.[:@]
Old 06-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will prefer ironsights before buying any of this two scopes.

Simmons are cheaply made, have poor eye relief and virtually no quality......bottomline....crap!

Boy oh boy aren't you a wealth of knowledge. CurrentSimmons scopes excluding the redesign are better then most scopes out there. I haven't heard too many complaints about Aetecs for example. The new redesign is a very nice scope at least on paper. I will look at one seriously butI just won't buy it because its made in China and that is the only reason.

On the other hand Redfield haven't made a decent scope in decades. I don't think they're gonna start doing them now.......

Redfield has been out of business for a couple of years in case you didn't know.

The new redfields look terrific on paper. I will look them over real carefully when dealers start stocking them. They are not going to be cheap either in Quality or Price.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Had nothing but bad experiences with Simmons I ran away fron them before the Aetecs were on the market and personally I don't care if the're good or bad now, the're Simmons!!!![:'(]

As for Redfield's, they use to begood until the mid 80's, after that all they made was affordable but not 100% dependable they oftenly got foggy or the zero moved easily. Getting a good one was really a lucky shot.

Oldie, If you want something made in the USA buy a Zeiss Conquest (at least is assembled in the USA!)
Old 06-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oldie, If you want something made in the USA buy a Zeiss Conquest (at least is assembled in the USA!)
as is Redfield,Leupold,Burris and US optics that I know of
Old 07-06-2005, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I found an article about these scopes in SHOOTING TIMES this month.........

Simmons line of scopes will now be made in China BUT, in a brand new facility built by Americans specifically for the production of Simmons scopes, managed by Americans, and owned by Americans.

The Redfield scopes will be assembles in the States at Meades manufacturing facility and will include components made in the US as well as in its China Operation.

The NEW Redfield scopes will have a 5X magnification range. Which means that a typical 3-9X scope has a 3X magnification range. Redfields variable will be a 3-15x52 scope and will also feature a constant eye relief of 4 inches.

Another very nice feature of both lines will be a 100% one piece tube construction. This not only includes the main tube and objective end typical of all other one piece tubes but also the eyepiece as well all the way to the rubber eye guard.

For anyone interested in these new scopes the article is definetly worth reading.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I serioulsly considered getting the Aztec until I found a good deal on a Burris!