Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Free Floating a Rifle >

Free Floating a Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Free Floating a Rifle

Old 06-20-2005, 04:05 PM
KEM

Default Free Floating a Rifle

I have two remington 700 rifles that I am setting up. I tried the dollar bill free float test and found that both guns have an intentional stock to barrel contact where the swivel stud is located. I know some theories say this is good, but I need some info as to why. I am inclined to sand this away till the barrel floats nicely.

Can anyone help on this
Old 06-20-2005, 04:44 PM

Default RE: Free Floating a Rifle

I think that the pressure is to help with point of impact. The problem is that as the barrel heats or if you use a shooting sling, the change in pressure can affect point of impact.

How does you rifle group now? Do you shoot long strings of shots with it (such as at prairie dogs)? do you really need to modify it? Do you shoot off the bench for site in, and then not use a rest in hunting situations?

I like to have my barrels free floated for these reasons among others. But if yours does what it need to do, why change it?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:23 PM
bigcountry

I have always freefloated every 700 I have ever got. And its been many. But I found a 1982 model with heavy varmit contour BDL deluxe. It is pressure bedded and shoots .5MOA. So I for the first time, I ain't messin with it. Its a 7mm-08 with walnut stock. The pressure point doesn't look very good but it works.

I believea quality stiff, very stiff stock pressure bedded properly has its benefits. But I also believe that the cheap junk stocks they put on the 700BDL Stainless/syn needs to be floated. Those stocks just flex too much. And I have always had to pillar bed and float to get good shot to shot consistency.

I also tend to believe you have issues with very thin barrels floated. I have great luck letting them cool 10 min between shots or some cases every two. But if you don't, accuracy can be bad. I have had it both ways. Only way is to try.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would agree with bigcountry. I've always floated my barrels. I also bedded the actions for added accuracy improvement. In fact, I have a Browning Micro Hunter in 7mm-08 at the shop now getting a bedding job done. This rifle came from the factory with a free floating barrel. But the best I can shoot is 1.5" MOA. I don't like the fact that it is floated clear up to the barrel lug. I like to have the camber area also bedded, as well as the tang. This ensures better contact between the stock and action to eliminate flexing and increasing accuracy.
As for your floating the barrel by removing the pressure point, I would say do it. Just be sure to apply a linseed, truoil or lacquer to the area when you are done so you don't have any bare wood exposed to the elements.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kem, leave that pressure point alone. Remingtons are bedded that way for a reason .
Old 06-21-2005, 10:54 PM

If it's shooting good, leave it alone. If it's shooting inconsistently, you can start to look for reasons.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:12 AM

I've been wondering that too...I have a 700 BDL in 300 win mag, and was curious if it worth it to free float it.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:59 AM
bigcountry

There is only one condition I see to free float. And thats stringing of shots. Or if POI changes alot. But if your getting 2MOA and its random, I don't see free floating helps much.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of my Remingtons are bedded the same way,they have a "crown",I wouldn't touch it...[align=right]
[/align]
Old 06-22-2005, 02:47 PM
KEM

My remington in 308 shoots OK but I can't get much better than 1 moa right now.
My new 7mag strings them constantly! Sometimes horizontal sometimes virticle.
Weather could be the deciding factor. The last two shooting days incluyded 65°F and cloudy and the second was 88°F and 95% humidity.

Quick Reply: Free Floating a Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.