Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Free Floating a Rifle >

Free Floating a Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Free Floating a Rifle

Old 06-22-2005, 08:46 PM

Default RE: Free Floating a Rifle

That pressure point in the inletting was put there for a reason.If Rem wanted free floating barrels and thought it would be better then they would have manufactored that way.There is a reason to free float,and just to do it will not automatically make a gun shoot better. see how it shoot s first before you do anything to the stock,then proceed. Just don,t alter a firearm because someone else has done it to theres. vangunsmith
Old 06-26-2005, 08:00 PM

If the rifle shoots good,leave it alone! I removed the pressure point to free float one of my rifles and it shot all over the place. Hadto bed the forend and it started shooting good again. It cost me time and some money to get back to where it was. good luck.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:57 PM

I'll go along with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it", crowd. But of all the things you can do with a stocks bedding, putting pressure back is about the easiest.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:07 AM

I think 99% of rifles that are bedded "properly" will shoot better with a floated barrel. But "properly" is the key word.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:41 PM

KEM

I bought a new Rem 700 Mountian LSS this spring and had every intention of getting the action glassed & pillar bedded and the barrel free floated.

Bur before doing that, I adjusted the trigger weight, took it to the range and got immediate MOA groups with 140 Grn Sierra Game King handloads. Since then, I've worked up several loads with different bullets all of whichshoot MOA or better. Best accuracy has come with 140 Grn Accubonds where the groups average 1/2".

This is definitely an example of "If it ain't borke - don't fix it". So I would strongly advise that you take those two Rem 700 rifles your setting up out to the range and shoot them before making any decisions about bedding & free floating.

firstshot
-----------------------------------------
Make your first soot count!