Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Deer tail end shot >

Deer tail end shot

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer tail end shot

Old 06-15-2005, 08:43 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Deer tail end shot

ORIGINAL: DM

First off, you can shoot one from the back side and NOT hit the guts!!
I believe you have tried it but for the life of me can't see you could get to the vitals without hitting the small intestines, the bladder or the gall bladder pancreasor stomach. All which put out some sort of nastiness on you meat.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:48 PM

If you are going to do this shot, the bullet to use is the Barnes X. It seems to be particularly deadly on the end-for-end shot - either coming or going. And not overly messy, either. Shot one about four years ago looking right at me with a 6MM-284 and a 95 gr. Barnes X. Dropped in his tracks. Found bullet in his hip. Minimal meat damage. Also shot a very good buck walking away from me with the same load in 2003. Also dropped in his tracks. Found bullet in the throat.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Drilling Man
How can you possibly shoot up the exhaust port of the guts and not hit guts ?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

If it were a monster buck, standing still, reasonably close range, I MIGHT try the shot, I doubt it though, because I have held off on bad shots before! For a meat shot, only if I was starving to death!
If you miss the spine, you can have a long tracking job ahead of you! And when you get started on the cleaning job, you will probably wish you had'nt shot, or had'nt found the deer! Me and another friend helped one of the guys on our lease clean a buck that had been ass-shot! It was not pretty, most of the rear quarters were ruined, and even though we both have strong stomachs, we both had to back off a couple of times, to keep from upchucking!
For me it will be "no shot," too great of risks, too little of rewards!
Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 PM

I did a cow elk once with a 140 grain 6.5mm Hornady. Hit her right at the root of the tail. Didn't really need penetration but shattered several sections of backbone. Lost some sirloin in there too. Didn't really try to do it, we were pushin' the herd outa some black timber. Usually you got some angle, but it happened fast and I just didn't notice.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:00 AM

As with everyone else it seems I did it once, and my shot was slightly off and ended up turning inside the deer and breaking the hip causing major pain and Honestly the only deer that I had to shoot twice. So I will never do it again. But to answer your question I would probably go with a bonded Bullet.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

That shot is not agood way to kill a deer. There is a great possibility to wound the animal. Yes, it will eventually die, two or three miles from you where you will never find it.

There is nothing like a good placed shot to take a buck.......bonded bullets or not......
Old 06-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I believe you have tried it but for the life of me can't see you could get to the vitals without hitting the small intestines, the bladder or the gall bladder pancreasor stomach. All which put out some sort of nastiness on you meat.
BIGCOUNTRY,
The shot is very simple, through the hind legs low enough to miss the anal cavity. If it severs the femoral artery the deer would likely be located dead whithin 100yds.

Here is the anatomical location ...
http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html

I in no way condone this shot, just clarifying the facts.....

Old 06-16-2005, 04:29 PM
bigcountry

I don't believe what you are talking about is not a texas heart shot but a broadsided leg shot. What we are discuseeing here is right up the poopshoot to get to the vitals.

Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry,

I agree that was the original post, I think DM was refering to the shot I mentioned.

Quick Reply: Deer tail end shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.