HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Second rifle choice? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/102514-second-rifle-choice.html)

ejpaul1 06-09-2005 01:48 PM

Second rifle choice?

Howdy all, I think I might be into a few more sheckles in the future than I had budgeted and I am thinking of getting a second rifle. I already have a good 30-06. My dearest pal has a 7 mag and thinks I should have one as well so we can both re-load and use the same ammunition. I used to have a 270 and loved the caliber. I live in colorado and hunt in the mountains and on the plains. Elk, mulies, whitetails, and antelope. Any reccomendations? EJ

Portage 06-09-2005 01:53 PM

RE: Second rifle choice?

I am not a fan of the 30-06 but if I owned one I don't think I'd get a 7mm (you didn't mention which one). Its your money but I'd either go bigger (300 Win. mag. 338, 35 Whelen) or smaller 257 Wea or 25-06).

Didn't really answer your question but the 06 and most 7mm's are pretty close.

ejpaul1 06-09-2005 01:56 PM

He has the 7mm remington mag.

Cottoneye Joe 06-09-2005 01:58 PM

Having the a rifle that shoots the same cartridge as your buddy sounds like a nice sentiment, but even if you get the same brand and model rifle as your buddy's, it might not shoot the same loads (whether factory or handloads) as well as his. There is a chance it will, but there is also a chance that what his shoots good, will perform less than acceptable in yours. If you are handloading, it is best to experiment and work up a load that is good for your gun. So even though sharing a cartridge might sound like a great idea, it might not be as convenient as originally planned. My suggestion is go with what you like and need for the reasons that are most important to you.

ejpaul1 06-09-2005 03:02 PM

So, what caliber do you reccomend Cottoneye Joe ? EJ

Cottoneye Joe 06-09-2005 03:11 PM

Honestly? I think you should go with whatever cartridge you are most interested in, or comfortable with. Whichever cartridge suits your needs the best. For me to say any specific cartridge would just invite a big debate, which there are many already on the forum ready to read. And seriously, there are any number of cartridges that will do what you want. It all boils down to personal preference really, but my point is, it's going to be your gun, get what you want, not what someone else wants you to have. But, if the two happen to be one and the same, there's no real problem either.

charlie brown 06-09-2005 03:33 PM

I really see no need to get anything that close to the .30-06 for the animals you have listed.

Also, I would not recommend sharing a load between two rifles. What works in one might not work in the other, and at worst, can be very dangerous.

I would go with something in the .25-06, 6.5x55, .260 Rem., or something along those lines, to use for the antelope, but that could also double for a varmint rig. Those may even be too big for varmints, so something along the lines of a .243 Winchester might work good too. Or, if you really want something for just varminting, then the .223 Rem., 22-250, or 204 Ruger would all fill that bill nicely. The .30-06 will work fine for the elk, so I really see no need to go any larger.

Virginia7 06-09-2005 03:35 PM

ORIGINAL: ejpaul1
Howdy all, I think I might be into a few more sheckles in the future than I had budgeted and I am thinking of getting a second rifle. I already have a good 30-06. My dearest pal has a 7 mag and thinks I should have one as well so we can both re-load and use the same ammunition. I used to have a 270 and loved the caliber. I live in colorado and hunt in the mountains and on the plains. Elk, mulies, whitetails, and antelope. Any reccomendations? EJ
For the game you noted, the 7mmRem.Mag. will be just fine. As noted however, there isn't much difference in power between your 30-06 and the 7mm mag. The 7mm mag. will give you a little flatter trajectory, but for pratical purposes that's about it.
Having a 30-06, I'd also be inclined to either go bigger or smaller. Maybe move up to a 338Win.Mag., or down to maybe a 25-06 or another 270Win. Actually, the 25-06 makes a really good long range number for mulies, whitetails, and antelope. Your 30-06 will take care of the elk.
But heh, it's your money, and your friend. You know how often you guys shoot/hunt together. Nothing wrong with trying to go with same cartridges, but as noted, no guarantee of the same loads working in both guns. One advantage, the 7mmRem.Mag. is available in a good selection of rifles from any of the majors (Remington, Ruger, Sako,
Savage, Winchester). Shouldn't be too hard to find a rifle in 7mmRem.Mag. that fits you - one that you like.

ELKampMaster 06-09-2005 03:38 PM

Going up, 338WinMag or 375 H&H.
Going down, 243 or 25-06.

Space your cartridges out enough so as to make a real difference in killing power (up or down) and trajectory (up or down).
A 30-06 and a 7mmRemMag are essentially equivalent.
Some folks fill their closet with rifles that are essentially the same power.
Never fails to amaze me.

EKM

Doe Dumper 06-09-2005 04:26 PM

Buy a 243!! The ya have enough gun for any animal on the planet!!!! :D:D