Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry >

heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry

Old 06-09-2005, 11:34 AM

Default RE: heavy barrel vs. sporter barrel for carry

I have hunted yotes for 15 years. I have owned heavy and sporter barreled rifles. Currently I am using a sporter barrel. I can't really tell much difference in terms of practicality. Accuracy was better from the heavy barrels. But the sporter barrels are accurate enough for what I am using it for. I shoot yotes out to 300 yards max. You get one, maybe two shots at them. Out to that distance, a sporter can hold minute of yote accuracy. If I was shooting prairie dogs all afternoon, I would want a heavy barrel.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:11 PM

It depends on the amount of shots that you want to take. The idea behind o heavy barrel is stiffness obviously and the amount of time it takes to heat up. Another option is to flut it. If you don't take a huge string of shots in a row, why carry the weight and this isn't target competition, so the slight accuracy to be had off a heavy vs featherweight isn't that great. If you are shooting lots of shots in a row such as in a big dog town, you need to think about barrels heating up. Also heavy rifles are supposed to be steadier for off hand positions, but lighter swing faster (correct?). I couldn't ever shoot well off hand and haven't taken the time to learn the tricks.

That being said, both of my varmit rifles carry heavy wieght barrels. I shoot more prairie dogs than coyote. I'm also in my late twenties and am fit. I carry the rifle a short distance (500 yds commonly) before I set up to start shooting. Rarely is rifle weight and issue, more times it is a lack of hands to carry the spotting scope, several boxes of shells, rifle, mat, water, etc.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:37 PM

In my opinion,and only my opinion that what rifle one carries is one he wants,llikes,and has bought. There are personal pros,and cons for both thoughts.I find and im in good shape,if one carries a heavy rifle, after a brisk walk,and a once in a lifetime shot comes up it is easier to hold a heavy barrel steady,rather than a light one waving around. In any event,we all would like to hit our target no matter what it takes.Even hunting in big country such as montana,ect. vangunsmith
Old 06-11-2005, 12:01 AM

I have to agree with vangunsmith. I have a heavy barreled Remington 700 Sendero in 25-06, it is by far the most accurate rifle I ever owned (and I have plenty of quality rifles). I carry it if I plan on long percission shots, or sometime just for a change. The last whitetail I shot was with this gun, a 100yrd shot, picking a shot through trees. Accuracy is very important to me, its nice to know the bullet will go exactly were you are aiming. I am also a big guy, in good shape, so weight isnt as much a factor. I dont use this gun all the time, but it is nice to have, if you can carry it, and long accurate shots really come into play, then go this route. If you dont shoot out that far, and weight is an issue, go standard and practice more. Good luck in what you choose, practice is key.