Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How the .243 stacks up (part deux) >

How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Old 06-08-2005, 08:06 PM

Default RE: How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

I wuz hunt'n elk dis one time and i shot dis big 'ol elk. but it took off and I coodnt find it. I wuz aming for da genral area so it shood hav kiled it . it wuz dat damn .243. i aint nevr gunna use it agan, im gunna get me one them .300-50 wssssm super dooper BMG magnums, dat will wurk for sure.
ya if'n i git nuff mony from dat car wreckk i'll by it. Or frum dat time i fel doun at wall-mart, i tink I'l have enuff by den. ya cant wate he he!
zrexpilot- I swear I almost fell out of my chair laughing! Man, I needed that.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:45 PM

Ok, guys don't be quite so thin skinned.... I apologize if anyone was offended by my post. I don't use that often, only when certain circumstances merit it. After 20 or so pages on two different topics, I felt it merited it here.

My only point was to get you all to quite behaving like babies (even if it took me acting like one). I have met some of the best people I know through hunting and shooting, and it just irks me to see this kind of bickering back and forth (especially when people start taking it seriously). You know, there are tons of people out there (PETA, anti-gun, anti-hunter, etc.) that love nothing more than to see a group of hunters arguing about whose deer is the biggest. Reminds me of a saying we have in Oklahoma.... the bigger the pickup the smaller the..... Nevermind.

For those of you who seemed to object to the idea of deer feeders, food plots, etc. and just wanted to draw an important distinction. First, in south Texas or in western Okla. where I hunt, vegetation and natural nutrition is not as plentiful as in other regions of the country and supplemental feeding is a valuable tool in keeping our deer plentiful and healthy. Now that being said, I agree with you that hunting over a feeder is borderline unethical. I use feeders all year for supplementation and have never hunted anywhere close to them. Just because you hang a feeder doesn't mean your hunting over it. I do think, however, that it takes time and maturity as a hunter to enjoy the time spent in the outdoors just as much as the kill itself. I can attest to this, last rifle season I spent 20 minutes or so playing around grunting to a small 6 point. He was all puffed up and looking all around for the deer making those grunts. Finally, he stomped and snorted all he was going to and wondered off. I can honestly say I enjoyed that experience more than I would have had I shot him. I takes time for a hunter to realize that the most empowering experience you can have is not the kill, but having the skill and ability to kill and deciding to pass on the shot.

texhookem, your learning a lot on these forums whether you know it or not. Sorry we beat you in football every year...

zrexpilot, listen more....talk less. Use the .243 whenever the h*** you want.

renfrowridge and VAhuntr, yes deer are scored by their antlers not by their weight... if you would like that changed write B&C.

longrifle1000, I'm offended by the picture of that deformed baby in your signature.....
Old 06-08-2005, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: zac76156
Virginia7, you seemed to object to the idea of deer feeders, food plots, etc. and just wanted to draw an important distinction. First, in south Texas or in western Okla. where I hunt, vegetation and natural nutrition is not as plentiful as in other regions of the country and supplemental feeding is a valuable tool in keeping our deer plentiful and healthy. Now that being said, I agree with you that hunting over a feeder is borderline unethical. I use feeders all year for supplementation and have never hunted anywhere close to them. Just because you hang a feeder doesn't mean your hunting over it. I do think, however, that it takes time and maturity as a hunter to enjoy the time spent in the outdoors just as much as the kill itself. I can attest to this, last rifle season I spent 20 minutes or so playing around grunting to a small 6 point. He was all puffed up and looking all around for the deer making those grunts. Finally, he stomped and snorted all he was going to and wondered off. I can honestly say I enjoyed that experience more than I would have had I shot him. I takes time for a hunter to realize that the most empowering experience you can have is not the kill, but having the skill and ability to kill and deciding to pass on the shot.
Hey Zac, what ????? I never said anything about feeders and food plots, etc. I think you got me confused with someone else. That's okay. Anycase, for the record, I don't hunt around/over feeders, salt licks, etc. Most cases illegal anyway. Haven't done it, but don't think I'd have a problem with food plots.
Couple years ago a friend invited me to hunt with him in another state. There, it is legal to bait deer. He'd put out a couple pounds of corn, and then take a nearby stand, and wait for the deer to come to dinner. He had a ground blind all set up for me, and we put out about 3lbs. of corn each day. Sure enough, the deer came in (along with all the local tree rats, and an assortment of other critters). I don't know, but I couldn't shoot 'em in that situation. I let a couple of small bucks go. There were a pair of does
that would come in each afternoon too (they were legal). I got to naming them, Lucy & Lucille It was just fun watching them every day for about 5days. Stand to deer was only about 20yds.
These days I seem to just enjoy getting out in the woods during the fall, and the hunting season. Take up a stand in the morning, then do a little still hunting during the day, and stand again in the afternoon. Sometimes take a stand around lunch time too. It can be a hoot to watch the deer moving as the hunters head out for lunch.
Sometimes I shoot bambi. Other times I just enjoy watching 'em run around.
Old age - I guess I'm getting senile or something Anyway, usually manage to put some venison in the freezer each year. And, if for some reason I don't, well, it don't seem to matter that much anymore. Just enjoy the time in the woods, watching the critters, and thanking the Lord for all He has made.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:31 PM

Virginia7, I got you mixed up with someone else and edited my original post, I apologize. No reason for singling people out anyway...
Old 06-08-2005, 11:02 PM

You find my computer generated image to be "offensive"? And yet you post garbage like this?

ORIGINAL: zac76156

You don't like it, don't look at it. And quite frankly, I find you offensive.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:11 PM

its called sarcasm longrifle...grow up
Old 06-08-2005, 11:16 PM

its called sarcasm longrifle...grow up

Is that like the pot calling the kettle black?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:06 AM

No... no calling names, etc.... I just think the political correctness on this board has gone too far... as I said before, if you were offended by my post I apologize. But, I think the most offensive part of the entire thread is that a couple of adults sank to the level of picking on a high school kid. He's a teenager, what’s your excuse??? With an attitude like yours it’s no wonder why some young people get discouraged from hunting/shooting.

As for you finding me offensive, I can tell you that through my work in the medical field and as part of my medical training I have worked both with Special Olympics and with the mentally handicapped... so if you really want to act high and mighty, I might suggest you volunteer sometime.

Zac

P.S. -> Happy late Birthday
Old 06-09-2005, 01:21 AM

this is all crazy talk!
Old 06-09-2005, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

For long range hunting I would rather give up 200-400ft lbs energy and a little bullet weight for bullet placement. The .243 bucks the wind better than all but 3 calibers in that chart and was flatter than all but two, except for that 85 gr'er which was the flattest shooter of the list. Flatter shooting will give a better margin for error. Of course this would all have to be done with custom guns that would be capable of shootin 500 yds with some accuracy. off the shelf guns wouldnt have whats needed to do that, but in all fairness if I were to do a custom gun, it wouldnt be a .243. I would pick the .300WM
I have no reason to believe that a 100 gr bullet at 2200 fps and 925 lbs energy ( 500 yds)wouldnt kill a deer.
I have killed them with much less.
I killed 6 axis deer in the past 3 years with a .222, at a 100 yds the little pill is delivery around 2600 fps and 750 lbs of energy, and it was very affective.

Quick Reply: How the .243 stacks up (part deux)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.