Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Applying for FFL >

Applying for FFL

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Applying for FFL

Old 06-06-2005, 04:09 PM

Default Applying for FFL

I am applying for a FFL. Anyone here ever done that? Any tips?

Dave
Old 06-06-2005, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Applying for FFL

tell the truth get you a good safe. Thats realy all you need for here neways. I am applying for one but nothing heard yet
Old 06-06-2005, 04:40 PM

I've got friends who have FFL's, I don't need or want one.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't ave a 01 FFL but I have a 03 FFL, but I can at least give you a starting point.

Go here:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/dcof/index.htm

Select 'applications' on the RH side of the screen then select 'ATF F 7(5310.12) - Federal Firearms License Application Packet (includes instructions, fingerprint cards, and other material) '

Fill out your name, address, etc.

The BATF will send you an application packet in the mail.

You need to make sure there aren't any state, county, or city ordinances that prohibit a person holding a FFL in your location.

You need to fill out the aplication form which should be pretty similar to a form 4473 plus a proof of citizenship form. You will need to be fingerprinted and will need to send a copy of your application to your Chief law Enforcement Officer (usually your police chief or sheriff). Write a short cover letter that goes to the CLEO explaining what you are applying for.

Once yourpaperwork is turned in, you wait for 2 to 3 months and the BATF will send you a package of regulations books and your license.

This is the bare minimum needed to get a 03 FFL, to get a 01 FFL, there are no doubt a few more hoops you need to jump through, but this is at least a starting point for you.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 PM

I have had one since Richard Nixon was president. They are tougher to get than it used to be. Back before Clinton took office, lots of folks had them who were not in the business of buying/selling firearms - or who were otherwise shooters just trying to buy gun related stuff at dealer discount. Clinton did a big sweep of FFl's in 1993/94. In this county there were about 140 FFL's before the sweep. Afterwards, there were less than 30. You had to be in a location zoned for commercial business and be registered with the State as a bona fide business to qualify. I would suspect this has been relaxed somewhat since Bush took office . . . . but it maybe not with 911 interests in play. There is a big thick book of regulations that apply to all this and a bunch of record keeping requirements. Failure to comply is, in most cases, a federal felony. The ATF boys stop by periodically and inspect your books. They usually select a few transactions to audit.

Are you sure you want to go through all this?
Old 06-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had an FFL for 12 years. Easy to obtain, hard to turn in.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I applied for a class 3 three years ago, made it through the background checks and got a call from the local ATF agent saying everything was in order on their end and a word of caution that here in the PRNJ a class 3 is considered the same as a class 1 and asked if I wanted to proceed. After hearing what some of requirements imposed by the comrades here in state gov wanted I said forget about and got my fee refunded.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You had to be in a location zoned for commercial business and be registered with the State as a bona fide business to qualify.
Yup.
I can't obtain one in my town unless I open a storefront that is not part of my residence. A guy I order guns through locally is a nonstocking dealer and is able to use his home address for business in a neighboring town. The goobermint doesn't want you to use a FFL for buying guns just for yourself, but to run a business only.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got my application for an 03 FFL the other day.

Briman - All I have is a green sheet that I fill out and send back. No fingerprint cards, nothing. All it asks for is a copy of my hunting license. Am I missing something here, or will they send me more stuff after I send this in??
Old 06-06-2005, 09:10 PM

Guys.. thanks for all the helpful input... what is the difference betwween a 01 and an 03 license?

Quick Reply: Applying for FFL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.