Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 12 guage slug range. >

12 guage slug range.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 guage slug range.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:52 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: 12 guage slug range.

Are you serious about your comment there Davis?
No, he can't be. Has to be a joke. Anyone that knows anything about anything knows better.

In the last 2 or three years, I have been on this slug gun kick and have killed over 12 deer with it. Only lost one, that I shot too far or something and hit it in the front leg.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bigbulls,
Just trying to show a sense of humor. I am a blackpowder shooter and hunter. I know exactly how affective big slow bullets are.

C. Davis
Old 06-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I figured you must be joking around with the 243 comment but didn't see any smileys. Sometimes the humor just doesn't transfer through the computer screen. Sorry bout that.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a remington 1100 with a hasting barrel full rifle I used when i live in michigan at that time it was B.R.I sabot slugs fed. owns them now I won a LOT of money with this gun at the range at 150 yards it would shot 2 inch groups 5 out of 5 times so people that say 75 yerds or less better try again . the longest shot that kill a 5 point buck was 168 yards. This gun was setup for deer hunting it was drill and taped for a 4 power scope and recoil supresser have over $800.00 include the gun it not cheap to get a slug gun to shot this way but it can be done. chuck
Old 06-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

My Browning Abolt 12 ga. shoots a 5 shot 3" group at 200 yards with Federal 2 3/4" Barnes sabots.Sighted 1 1/2" high at 100 yards drop is 12" at 200 yards.This is from a solid bech rest with scope on 7x.What everyone has to realize when shooting this distance is that it's not the 12" drop you need to worry about, but the wind drift!!!With a steady 10mph cross wind you will have over a foot of drift!
Old 06-07-2005, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

DUDE! check out the Remington 870 rifled slug gun.
You can get this gun for under $300 easy. The barrel is fully rifled and I recommend SABOTS from a fully rifled barrel. Try different kinds, some sabots are like $12 for 5 rounds and I tried em all remington, federal, winchester, and the ones that just shoot the best out of my particular gun are the Breneke KO's and they are only like $5 for 5. I lucked out. Shot a doe at 50 yards here in MA with it opening day using the iron sights. Hit the heart and one lung. 30 yards and DOWN. The damage a slug or sabot can do at deep yardage is unbelievable. Easy to follow blood trails.

Sorry to ramble. Any questions about this gun or anything feel free to throw me a PM

Jim
Old 06-07-2005, 10:53 AM

I would consider the maximum ethical range for a rifled slug/smooth bore combination to be 50 yards. Fore sabot slugs/rifled barrels, I would consider the maximum ethical range to be 125 yards. Beyond that, there are no assurances that you will hit the vitals. Such shots are unethical.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

I think what makes a shot ethical or not is the hunter or shooter who is pulling the trigger.I know a few who are more than capable of shots over 125 yards with the right rig and conditions!PoorColledgeKid don't paint with that broad brush! 125 yards might be your ethical range,but the guns,sabots and shooters are around to best that yardage.I spend much time and money at the range to hone these skills, if the wind is right and the rest is steady My rig will deliver with enough energy for a quick humane kill beyond 125 yards! Again I don't advocate anyone to do more than their ability and practice would dictate
Old 06-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said DV that is the best advise I have read
Old 06-07-2005, 02:11 PM

it depends ej on the gun ur using if it is rifled barrel u can effectively reach distances of 150yds, but with a smooth bore ur limited to about 55 to 65 yds. in the terrain ull be hunting a rifled slug gun would be more appropriate depending on distances and cover ud be shooting in a good small rrange variable would be ample. i suggest a 1.5-4.5 32 mm shotgun scoope that basspro has for 80.00 it is also in realtree hardwoods so glare would not be a factor.combined with hornady sst 200grn slug that produces over 2,000 fps would be a deadly combo.glad i could bve of any service

zach

Quick Reply: 12 guage slug range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.