HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Prices just jumped!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/101745-prices-just-jumped.html)

rile1564 05-31-2005 05:06 PM

Prices just jumped!!!

I've been checking out .17 HMR's for the past month. The wife wanted me to wait until this paycheck.. I also have been debating between the Marlin, Ruger and CZ.. Finally I decided to call today at my local gun shop. They gave me the prices and I almost snotted myself. Then I checked out Walmart and Dicks sporting goods. All the prices, at all the stores went up between 25 and 75 dollars (US) in the last 2 weeks. Has anyone else notices that the prices just jumped? I'm guessing it's because the summer is comming and the demand for rifles is going up.

Virginia7 05-31-2005 09:46 PM

RE: Prices just jumped!!!

I was talking to my local dealer about prices a few weeks ago. There was one back in
Jan./Feb. for some makes, and now again. He said to expect it, and more.
One of the reasons, we can thank the lawyers with all the anti law suites. Litigation is
expensive! [:@]

Rebel Dog 06-01-2005 06:01 AM

What are they selling for? I have bought guns off of www.gunbroker.com you may find a good deal there.

rile1564 06-01-2005 06:20 AM

The Ruger (at the local gun shop) is $495.. and Walmart it's $457 (was 434 2 weeks ago) the CZ the want $420 (saw it for $350 last month) and the Stainless Steel Marlin (non-fluted) they want $325..At Dick's the.y want $299 for the stainless fluted.. Plus the places I looked and found the best deal said they were out of stock and had no idea when they would be able to order more from the supplier. So I am going down to Walmart and ordering the Ruger K77/17 in .17 HMR for $457.. I looked at gun broker. If I got it and had it shipped to the dealer, the dealer wants $45 to process it and run the background check. So I'm not really making out with that one. It just figures that I set me "sights" on the gun I want then the prices jump.

Gundigest 06-01-2005 07:16 AM

Good choice Ruger makes a very good rifle, I love my 77/22LR. Have fun with your new rifle and kill some criders.

rile1564 06-01-2005 12:22 PM

Well I did it!!! I ordered the Ruger 77/17 Grey laminated target/varmint! It's a sweet gun and I should have it in my hands in 10-15 working days. Thanks for all the advise from everyone. When I get it I'll take pictures then hopefully get it out and see what kind of groups I can get out of it. Afterwards I'll see how it holds up to a few fat groundhogs.

rick_reno 06-01-2005 05:25 PM

Things get to where most of us on wheels - and it takes fuel to get those wheels moving. The oil companies are getting fat, I expect everything to start costing significantly more shortly.

You should ask your dealer if he's one of those oil companies - $45 to process a gun in is ridiculous.

HighDesertWolf 06-01-2005 05:36 PM

your post got me interested, so I checked with my gun dealer and the walmart here. The prices are the same as they were 6 months ago. no price jump here.........

Ruger-Redhawk 06-02-2005 04:23 PM

ORIGINAL: rile1564

If I got it and had it shipped to the dealer, the dealer wants $45 to process it and run the background check.

I would find a new dealer.I get anything transfered for 20.00 plus 5.00 for a call in.A friend knows a guy who only charges 10.00 to transfer it.He'll be doing my future transfers.You can find some great buys on Gunsamerica.Your savings would be eaten up with shipping and 45.00 transfer fee.

Ruger Redhawk

rost495 06-02-2005 07:15 PM

Some folks will do anything for a buck. I have an FFL, mostly for buying parts and loading stuff for a rifle team. I do use it for friends and charge only a bit to cover costs.

Yet folks do not know that the license costs a bit to renew every 3 years, depending on how old your license is, and there is a ton of legal responsibility as to record keeping. It takes a bit to order a gun time wise. I know that sometimes you have to call repeatedly to find something in stock. That burns up time. And then there is meeting with the customer, filling out the paper work and doing the call in. And if its delayed there is still more time.

I'm not saying 45 is right or wrong, same with 20 bucks or 10. I'm just pointing out there is a LOT more to this than most realize. And who pays you for the hours you sit there having your records reviewed, filling out renewal papers, keeping up on the laws, etc....

I've certainly bought guns from other places when I could have ordered myself, yet due to the involved hassles it was easier and cheaper time wise to pay someone else a bit of profit.

Jeff