HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   composite or wood stock? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/101706-composite-wood-stock.html)

snibbcc 05-31-2005 08:26 AM

composite or wood stock?

id like to know if i can get some advice/opinions on the comparison between wood and compostie stocks for rifles. im currently in iraq and looking to buy a new deer hunting rifle for this season to use when i get back. im interested in what each of them offer and why some people might prefer one over the other...thanks

longrifle1000 05-31-2005 08:46 AM

RE: composite or wood stock?

Fist off, welcome aboard. And thank you for your service to this country.

On to your question. For a hunting rifle, I prefer a synthetic stock. They are not affected by weather(humidity), and I don't worry about scratching them up. If it gets humid, the wood will swell, and can move the barrel around. This will cause issues with accuracy. Good luck

gorse 05-31-2005 08:53 AM

I concur with Longrifle. Synthetic stocks are, ultimately, more stable. But, I would add a recommendation for laminated stocks. I don't know how you feel about the appearance of them, (some people absolutely hate them)...but, properly sealed, they are virtually as stable as synthetics...with the feel of wood. I prefer them, above all others.

The downside is - laminated stocks often are a bit heavier than synthetics. This doesn't bother me, though, as it simply helps reduce felt recoil. But, it is something to be considered.

SWAMPMAN 05-31-2005 09:39 AM

snibbcc,
Let me echo Longrifle 1000's thanks for your service. Now , on to your question.
The battle of Synthetic vs wood will probably go on forever. If you're looking for durability and an All-Weather rifle, go with the synthetic. I am in the minority that prefer wood but EVEN I must admit that my like/dislike is based on pure aesthetics. I just love the feel and looks of a fine piece of lumber. As far as practicality goes, there's no question that synthetic wins hands down.

oldelkhunter 05-31-2005 10:08 AM

am in the minority that prefer wood but EVEN I must admit that my like/dislike is based on pure aesthetics. I just love the feel and looks of a fine piece of lumber. As far as practicality goes, there's no question that synthetic wins hands down.
Ditto on that point

Rebel Dog 05-31-2005 10:49 AM

I couldn't have said it any better than SWAMPMAN, I feel the exact same way.

Roskoe 05-31-2005 11:45 AM

There are some new ones out that allow you to "have your cake and eat it too" - full length aluminum bedding block inside a very handsome piece of wood. Check out Midway USA.

Mike from Texas 05-31-2005 06:48 PM

Yeah, what swampman said. IMO synthetic is just ugly and feels cheap. No doubt it's more durable/practical though.

bigbulls 05-31-2005 07:02 PM

I haven't come across a synthetic stock I have actually liked. Even HS Precision and McMillans. For a "beater" gun they are fine but I much prefer to have my guns in wood stocks.

You can make a wood stock very stable and resistant to the elements by bedding the barrel channel its full length with epoxy or other bedding compound like devcon. This will add strength to the wood and create a impervious barrier against moisture.

If the barrel is free floated by about .020" then even a regular wood stock won't swell up enough to touch the barrel and change the point of impact.

ButchA 05-31-2005 07:18 PM

I agree with others.... Pure wood stock for me too. Wood has heart and soul and gives a rifle or shotgun a special personality that is all its own. Synthetic stocks just don't have the same feel as wood. Some are just downright cheesy looking (sorry to say)...

Anyway, snibbcc, thank you very much for serving our country. Be strong and be safe! Welcome to this great hunting forum too! We'll keep the light on for you when you get back! ;)

Butch A.