Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 The Perfect Deer Rifle >

The Perfect Deer Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

The Perfect Deer Rifle

Old 05-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Perfect Deer Rifle

Now if you are a 270 Winchester fan, you're probably shaking your head and wondering how I could ever pick another round over Jack O'Connor's favorite. Well, I will admit that the 270 is a great round but when only talking about deer hunting, I stand by my choice of the 7mm-08. To me it just seems perfect.
Why when talking deer is it( 270.win) considered not as good as that 7 mm o8 i wonder<---shaking head slowly.I also like my cheap ungly s steel savage too in 30.06 & can find plenty of good surplus military practice/target ammo for it.
But id try a 7mm o8 or a 7 mm.mag even- but have no more room in my safe
Old 05-31-2005, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find it to be an excellent article. Has nothing to do with the fact that it’s exactly what I’m getting.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since this is about a Deer Rifle I think his choices may work in some areas but not in other areas. I don't think much of using a mountain rifle in 7-08 in a North Woods hunting scenario. A remington pump or a Ruger carbine or at worst a 30/30 would be better where shots may range from 25 yards to 125 yards and the ability to make a quick followup shot is important.. I agree it would make a nice southeast combo and most other parts of the country though.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:46 AM

I'm sure that I'l pick up a lot of flak for this one but, I'm in the Elmer Keith camp. The 7mm08 is a fantastic cartridge and I own one in a Remington Model 7 SS. It is as accurate a rifle as I've ever owned, but I wouldn't want it as my only deer rifle. If limited to one rifle for all game, there is no doubt in my mind it would be the venerable 375 H&H. It , in my mind, is "The Perfect Cartridge". I would not hesitate to shoot whitetails with a 235 gr and move on up to a nice 300gr for larger game.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

As good as the 7mm-08 Rem is, I don't think it is the perfect deer cartridge. As has been said before, hunting situations differ so what might be good for one may not be good for another. There is no such thing as the perfect deer cartridge but several are pretty close, including the 7mm-08 Rem.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:44 AM

Let me also state that in my deer hunting lifetime(read 35 years) I have bought , sold, and traded enough rifles to open a gun shop of my own in search of the elusive "Perfect Deer Rifle), I have yet to find a rifle/catridge combo that is ideal for everything. IMHO it does not exist. However, I will keep on doing my part in the search.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

i have a 7mm-08 savage rifle, and i have to say, i love that caliber. I certainly understand that everyone has their favorite, but the 7mm-08 is quickly becoming mine.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Ruger #1 7x57 Mauser (almost identical to 7-08)
Old 06-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is raining on the parade, but any number of cartridges are very able deer killers. A .243 will get the job done in skilled hands. A .375 H&H is preferred by others. Both take deer. Others like a .30-30 lever action. Kind of a silly topic considering even a .22-250 probably can reliably take deer.

Notwithstanding the above soul-less reality downer, I advocate and prefer the .25-06. Certainly adequate but not too much gun. Sure, a .50 cal BMG will get the job done, but isn't it a bit much? A .25-06 is adequate without being a blunderbuss. The trajectory is flat, so you can hunt close or long range. The cartridge is relatively popular so rounds are not excessively expensive and relatively commonly available, in case you leave your cartridges on the coffee table leaving for the hunt. While it is not a prime consideration, the .25-06 offers some flexibility for hunting other beasts including coyotes and antelope. I have read that the .25-06 is adequate for sheep and goats, but I can't speak to that point. I have other rifles I use deer hunting, just to mix things up a bit. I've used a .243 to take deer and pronghorn in the past. I may use my .30-06 this coming deer season. But I still think the .25-06 is best matched to the deer.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:20 PM

Well, even though I believe the Rem 700 Mtn LSS in 7MM-08 is in fact the Perfect Deer Rifle "for me", I do realize that "one size does not fit all". I agree with most all that has been said above. There are simply too many factors in play from type of terrain hunted to basic personal preferences for there to be any such thing as "The Perfict Deer Rifle".

Maybe one doesn't exist out there today, maybe some day it will, but until then......here's to the search!!!! and if one size doesn't fit all.....get more than one!

fistshot
--------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Quick Reply: The Perfect Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.