HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ruger M77 trigger... Uff da! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/101516-ruger-m77-trigger-uff-da.html)

biscuit jake 05-28-2005 04:59 PM

Ruger M77 trigger... Uff da!

I was checking out some current bolt action rugers and there was alot to like, but the trigger had to be 8 pounds. For those of you that use the M77, I would like to hear your thoughts on a replacement trigger or the scoop on getting it whittled down.

Thanks

jmfa1957 05-28-2005 05:11 PM

RE: Ruger M77 trigger... Uff da!

Uff da meg is right, biscuit jake![:@] I used to own an M77 Mk II. The out-of-box trigger pull was probably in the 7-8 lb range. Rather than replace the trigger, I had my gunsmith rework it. It turned out great, one of the nicest, crispest triggers I ever had, right around 3.5 to 4 lbs. I read posts on the Ruger Forum later from guys who had Ruger do this for free, all they paid was shipping.

Unfortunately I could never get that rifle to group decently despite numerous tweaks and a lot of different handloads. I finally traded it away, and now hunt with a Remington 700 BDL. It doesn't have the Mauser features that the Ruger did, but at least I can hit with it. Too bad about that Ruger, it was a really nice rifle except for the accuracy problem. I may try another one someday because lots of folks report excellent accuracy with their Rugers and any manufacturer can turn out a lemon once in awhile.

By the way, you wouldn't be Norwegian, would you?:D

SWAMPMAN 05-28-2005 05:12 PM

biscuit jake,
I don't own any Ruger rifles for just that reason. It irritates me no end to have such a fine rifle with such a garbage trigger. I simply refuse to buy a rifle that needs to be worked on before it can be shot.[:@] What really irks me is that Ruger has known what people say about their triggers for years and they have chosen to do absolutely nothing. They won't get my business. Which I'm sure makes them cry all the way to the bank.

James B 05-28-2005 05:48 PM

I have had 6 or 7 Ruger rifles. Four of them were 10-15 years ago. Those rifles had pretty good triggers. They needed no trigger work to shoot pretty well. The last two Rugers that I have had, the triggers were lousy. 6-8 lbs. I had them reworked with good results. However I had the same problem as listed above, one of them just wouldn't shoot. I am talking about groups of well over two inches at best and more like 3-4 inches. The last one, my 25-06 shoots very well and the trigger is now real good. I hate the fact that you know that if you buy a ruger you are going to have to fix the trigger. Why can't that install a good adjustable trigger???[:@] I think I would replace any future ruger triggers before I left the store. Probably with a Timney.

Ruger-Redhawk 05-28-2005 07:01 PM

Ruger triggers are definately one of Ruger's weak spots.A good friend has reworked most of mine getting great results.They break 3-3.5#'s. In fact I sent one to him last week to rework a trigger on a M-77.
Ruger has to know all the complaints about their triggers.We can all thank the Lawyers for that.Liability issues.

Ruger Redhawk

James B 05-28-2005 07:17 PM

Thats partly true but the lawyers are not stopping the installation of a good adjustable trigger. If they can put them on their varmit model, why not the others? Don't big game hunters deserve the same when they buy a Ruger?

biscuit jake 05-28-2005 07:43 PM

Funny, but half of the Rugers I have owned I have gotten trigger work done on. Currently I have a Ruger #1 in 45-70 that came with a dandy trigger. (And very acceptable accuracy for a biscuit shooter.) I also have their .44 mag RSBH that I put a trigger kit in that made it pretty easy to shoot. The reason I am looking at M77's right now is that frankly they have a wider variety of cartridges under .27 caliber. I don't have a flat shooter right now, and I am aware of the difficulty tuning the M77 to be accurate. But I may chance it... Remington seems to be going south and I have not had really good accuracy from Winchesters. I checked several CZ rifles today and the actions were rough. Tough shopping these days.

James B 05-28-2005 08:46 PM

I keep hearing about the Remingtons going bad but I have not personally seen any of it. As far as accuaracy and function my new ones work as well as my old ones. I have also yet to see or own one that would not shoot inch groups with the right load right from the box. I have another new Remington 700 ADL on layaway now in 270. I have not picked it up yet but I would bet even now that it will function flawlessly and shoot one inch. or better from the Box. I would try Federal 130 grai Ballistic tips first. They will generally shoot under an inch in a new Remington. They have in the last 4 or 5 anyway. I Like the Rugers as well once the triggers sre fixed. With a 700 Remington, in ten minutes I will have the trigger tuned very well.

mossy33oak 05-29-2005 06:04 AM

Between my group of friends, we have taken 6 Rugers to our gunsmith and had Timney's installed in all of them. Im really scratching my head on all the comments about having to do work on a new gun before it shoots?? I mean, ALL of our Rugers out of the box had like 5.5-6 lb triggers, and shot decent enough groups outta the box to kill deer. What more does a two week/ year hunter need. Except me and my other two friends that shoot like 3 weekends a month, most guys I know buy a box of Cor-lokts, shoot 2 shots, a week before opening day, and go hunting. Honestly guys like us who are "gun nuts" are in the minority, Ruger puts a trigger in their guns that is functional and safe for the majority, if you want better then that you spend $100 on a good trigger. Not that big of a deal to me.

Ruger-Redhawk 05-29-2005 06:13 AM

ORIGINAL: James B

Thats partly true but the lawyers are not stopping the installation of a good adjustable trigger. If they can put them on their varmit model, why not the others? Don't big game hunters deserve the same when they buy a Ruger?

James B you bring up a good point.It's hard to say the real reason why the Ruger triggers are so poor.It's a hit and miss. I've gotten some that were good out of the box where others were terrible.No consistency for sure.Ruger would probably sell more of these rifles if they would improve the triggers.The Ruger rifles have allot of good features.The integral scope rings for one.I'm not saying Ruger are the best rifles,on the other hand they are better then allot. They aren't a custom rifle or a Sako by any means. For the money they are hard to beat.Plus they are Made in the USA.Keeping our money and job here.

Ruger Redhawk