Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Safety in Schools Sparks Debate >

Gun Safety in Schools Sparks Debate

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Safety in Schools Sparks Debate

Old 05-26-2005, 09:37 AM

Default RE: Gun Safety in Schools Sparks Debate

Unfortuantly I live in an area with alot of liberals, It dosn't mean that I will change my beliefs! my 5 year old has a chipmunk 22 and we squirrel hunt together at least I let him carry the gun "Unloaded" so that I can teach him handling skills and the respect a firearm deserves.

What I can't understand is how come we are supposed to "talk to our kids about drugs" but we should hide guns from them.

I am all for increasing peoples interest in guns and shooting Why not it's legal and fun?
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heck, when I was in high school most of us had guns in our vehicles for after school hunting. And we didn't need to be taught how to use them. Now days, they would throw you under the jail for that.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just imagine how safe our streets would be if everyone were required to carry a weapon and if everyone were required to successfully pass a gun safety course? What would happen to crime?

Of course, I'm not holding my breath until this happens. On the other hand, how dangerous is a car hurtling down the road at 60 MPH -- perhaps on poor tires, perhaps with little understanding of the elements of safe driving, perhaps with a thoroughly dirty windshield, perhaps with a driver pissed off at his girlfriend who just dumped him or his boss climbing up his back or just wanting to get to the bar in a hurry. If any tom, dick, and harry can be trusted to drive a car why not a gun?
Old 05-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

On another angle. I want my children to know many things. I don't want them to grow to be adults and be ignorant of things of the world. I want them to command all the powers that any other human being may possess. On what principle would I wish to withhold the knowledge and skilled use of firearms from my children? Would this somehow be better for them? I don't get it. Lacking the knowledge of how to handle firearms, to some extent, leaves one a second class citizen, an underling, a subject, a no-count.