Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 $2000 to spend, but which rifle??? >

$2000 to spend, but which rifle???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

$2000 to spend, but which rifle???

Old 05-18-2005, 09:03 PM

Default $2000 to spend, but which rifle???

Ok, heres the deal... after saving for quite some time, I've reached my personally imposed spending limit for a new rifle. I've narrowed the search to two calibers .30-06 and 7mm Rem Mag (primarily based on recoil and bullet/load choice), but I can NOT decide what to buy. My first inclination was Weatherby, Sako, or even Kimber. Then I thought more along the lines of a customized Savage, Remington, or Ruger.

So, guys, I need your help, not only on deciding what caliber to go with, but which rifle Manufacturer/custom job to go with. I do, however, have several stipulations that are required from this rifle.
1) Stainless finish.
2) Monte Carlo stock (McMillan, Weatherby, etc)
3) MOA or better accuracy (no brainer for $2000)
4) Extreme durability (no fancy engraving, etc.)
5) Fiberglass/synthetic stock (goes with #4)

Now, let me give you an idea of what and where I'm hunting. I hunt almost excusively here in Oklahoma. I live and hunt in NE Oklahoma at the edge of the Ozark Mountains, however, mostly I hunt my half-section in the NW corner of the state where the land is flat as can be. I don't do alot of walking and am somewhat recoil shy, so I would actually PREFER a bit heavier rifle (if its under 9 lbs. scoped, I don't want it). Aside from Oklahoma whitetail, an occasional hog hunt or mule deer hunt might be in the cards. I would also require that this rifle be amply suitable for hunting Elk. I might mention that I am not a quality enough shooter to attempt harvesting elk, deer, or anything else beyond the 300-350yd mark.

Thanks for helping me spend my money! and let the oppinions fly

P.S.--> please no "the .30-06 isn't enough for elk cause you can't fit your fist through the hole" comments. Combined, my grandfather, my dad and myself have harvested over 50 elk with the .30-06 and I never believe it is an insufficient round. I would however, entertain the idea that the 7mm is a MORE EFFECTIVE round.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:35 PM

Default RE: $2000 to spend, but which rifle???

Heck, the answer to this one is easy. Based upon your criteria I'd suggest you look at
a Sako 75 Synthetic Stainless. Weight of the rifle, without scope, is about 8lbs., so after scope, rings, it should hit your 9lb. mark.
As to cartridge, given the terrain you're hunting and the game to be hunted, I'd pick the 7mm Rem. Mag. It's flatter shooting, hits harder than an '06, and not really a whole lot of difference in recoil vs. the '06. It'll make ya' a better elk rifle.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

My choice in a factory rifle would be the sako 75 in 7mmremmag.Since customs are being considered,I would choose an accurized stainless 700 action,shilen trigger,match grade barrel,pillar bedded into a mcmillan bdl stock.You would have the option of choosing the barrel length and contour and length of pull so the rifle could be made to fit and balance as you desire.Cartridge choice would again be a 7mmremmag.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:31 PM

Thanks guys, the Sako is definitely up there on my list (probably at the top of the factory rifles). One of my big concerns is stock fit and quality, how does the Sako stock compare to the McMillan’s? Fiberglass? High enough for 50mm glass?

As far as custom goes, I originally considered this option only because I was insistent on a McMillan stock. My friend had his Savage 110 restocked to one and I was blown away by the quality and fit of the installation. Another couple of questions regarding custom rifles: it is my understanding that Remington no longer sells 700 actions alone, correct? Also, if I were to have McMillan glass and pillar bed a barreled action, and later needed to re-barrel the rifle, what if any changes would have to be made to the stock/bedding job (assuming the same contour barrel was being used)?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:41 PM

Rossi .30-30/12ga combo LOL
Old 05-19-2005, 12:57 AM

If they don't sell the actions alone, there are thousands of used 700's that you could buy for a couple hundred at a used gun shop.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Sako 75 synthetic s/s and found the synthetic stock to be very well made without the hollow plastic sound and that’s one of the reasons I bought Sako. I’ve never handled a McMillan stock I can’t comment on it. You would have my vote for the 7mm Rem. Mag. It’s an excellent cartridge. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Since you are going to spend good money for the rifle,consider a quality scope such as the swarovski 3x10x42.It is actually as bright as most 50mm scopes(including leupold) but is smaller and lighter.I replaced the 3.5x10 leupolds on my rifles with the swarovskis and am very pleased.I simply have no use for the bulky 50mm scopes that must be mounted higher.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would buy two Browning A-Bolts. One in 30-06 and one in a good varmit cartridge. Top them both with the new Aetec scopes and save the rest of the money for the next project. That should provide you hunting equipment for North America, minute of angle and synthetic stocks. JMO
Old 05-19-2005, 06:35 AM

I totally agree with the sako ss/syn in 7 mag. I will be buying the same gun in the near future. I've used the 7 mag for years and look forward to getting another soon. The action is the smoothest of the guns you mentioned and the short bolt lift and detachable mag are also big benefits. I recently spent over an hour at a store handling rifles and the sako was the winner for sure. Let us know what you decide and what you spent on it.

Quick Reply: $2000 to spend, but which rifle???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.