Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 $2000 to spend, but which rifle??? >

$2000 to spend, but which rifle???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

$2000 to spend, but which rifle???

Old 05-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: $2000 to spend, but which rifle???

I would buy a Ruger and have a custom barrel made for it and a Timney trigger and better stock installed. This would give you a very strong Mauser type action with Sub MOA groups and an awsome trigger for a lot less than a Sako or Weatherby and you could still have enough money to put a good scope on it while having a true custom rifle. As for caliber the 30-06 is the most versital caliber ever and I would not hesitate to use it for elk or larger game. You may want to consider a 300 WSM which will give you faster velocity than a 30-06 while keeping a stiffer more accurate short action.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:41 AM

IMHO, buy the Sako 75, top it with a set of Badger rings and bases, and put a Bushnell Elite 4200 scope in whatever power range and objective fits your hunting style and sit back, relax and enjoy a rifle that will last a lifetime. Good luck!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Of the rifles you listed I would go with the Sako s/s synthetic.

One sleeper rifle you might want to consider is the Weatherby SUB-MOA stainless. The rifle weights 7-3/4 lbs. and has a 24" barrel. The rifle comes with an .99" accuracy guarantee or better. The rifle is supplied with a quality composite stock that is pillar bedded. The trigger is adjustable and I myself prefer the Howa action to the Remington 700 action. You can also contact the Weatherby custom shop and design the Vanguard anyway you want it. I would handle this rifle to see if it fits you well at a local gun shop. If it does with the accuracy guarantee I would purchase it and use the remaining money to invest in top quality optics.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sako 75 SS in 7 REm mag..use as is from the factory or add a Mcmillan stock which is a real nice stock BTW..you should be in around 1500 after that. Optilock Rings will run around 125 or so depending on where you buy them
Old 05-19-2005, 08:46 AM
bigcountry

I got your rifle if you don't mind heft. Get ya a FN SPR. You won't be disappointed. I shoot one with a chrome lined barrel. This is a custom gun out of the box. Has a guarntee of .75MOA or less. And if you have any trouble with that, I have seen guys in the Gov business just march it down to Frederickburg, VA straight to the office. And they will make it right. They did get a big contract with the FBI so I don't know how that affects the personalized treatment you get with them used too. I mean you will talk to Jim Owen himself if you have a problem. The one I shoot got for 1300 dollars.

Has a McMillian stock, Mil Spec, comes in 308, or 300WSM, chrome lined barrel with no, I mean no copper fouling. They have one gun down in VA that they will show you that has a documented well over 15K rounds thru and still shoots .75MOA and nothing has broken down in the trigger or action. You have to buy a set of badger rings. And you got 500 dollars for a decent scope.

If you don't mind heft, I would rather have this gun than any custom I have seen or shot. And I have had alot of different rifles. Even Ed Browns sniper version, or H-S.

It is a tactical gun that is meant for the police or FBI, Army, but civilians can get them.

You said heavy. Now if you are like me and want light, me and old oldelk can point you in the right direction. Got to add another 1K to it however.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:48 AM
bigcountry

Optilock Rings will run around 125 or so depending on where you buy them
Oldelk dont' the optilock come with them? And all new Sakos

Old 05-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish they did BC I wish they did . RIngs come with the Tikka
Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a Sako fan myself, so that's what I recommend. My 7mm mag 75 is an honest 1/2 to 3/4 MOA shooter with my handloads and my .300 Wby 75 is not far behind that. The only thing I've done to them is bed the actions and adjusted the triggers down to about 3 lbs. If you go this route I recommend Conetrol scope mounts with Sako Optilocks coming in a close second. And a 50mm scope is really not necessary as stubblejumper said. A 3-9 x 40 Zeiss Conquest would be my choice and that's exactly what I've got on both of mine.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:52 AM

Something I'd suggest is you visit a store that carries the rifles you've mentioned - and try them "on". I fuond Sako rifles fit me perfect. When I bring one up it's in the right place for sight allignment (my Sako's have sights) every time. I like this, it's really good for snap shooting at moving game.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

For $2,000 I'd go custom. I'd perfer a Remington 700 action, with heavy bull barrel (from Green Mountain) and custom thumb hole (w/ raise comb) stock (that is bedded and floated). Not sure which trigger I'd go for but it'd be 2 stage with a crisp 2nd stage and around 2-2 1/2 Lbs. I'd go for a .308 but that's just my preference. Probably wouldn't even cost near $2,000 (Unless I told the gunsmith that's what I wanted to spend and I'm sure that's what he'd make it cost.)

Quick Reply: $2000 to spend, but which rifle???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.