Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 mini 14 vs. mini 30 >

mini 14 vs. mini 30

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

mini 14 vs. mini 30

Old 05-17-2005, 02:58 PM

Default mini 14 vs. mini 30

im going to get either a mini 14 or a mini 30 but im not sure which one. with it i would hunt coyotes and shoot targets and just fun crap like that. how accurate are they? which one is a better choice? what are the pros and cons for each one?
Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 PM

Default RE: mini 14 vs. mini 30

My experiences with them are with one mini-14 a friend bought and we TRIED to get it to shoot good. He wanted to put a scope on it, it kept coming loose. We finally got the scope mounted and then the accuracy problems started - it'd shoot good for 3 shots and then the groups would really open up. He sold it and got a Colt Sporter (or whatever they were called at that time) - it was much better. Very repeatable, easy to scope (his carrying handle came off).
Old 05-17-2005, 04:42 PM

I have a mini 14 stainless, and I cant get that thing to group no matter what I do. Mini 14 are extremely inaccurate, but fun to shoot. If its for hunting I strongly advise you not to get one.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:44 PM

If you want a automatic rifle go for a AR 15 in 223.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:02 PM

i have had a mini- 14 .223 stainless ranch model with an older weaver 4x for a few years and it is no target rifle that's for sure. but it will shoot 3 or 4 inch groups at 200 yards with a cool barrel with no problem. but if you are going to shoot it like a machine gun then forget it. the barrel gets hot and good luck hitting anything small. they are fun to shoot fast at times though. one thing it never does is jam up. it always fires when you pull the trigger. it's not the best coyote gun but it will do the job out a couple of hundred yards with no problem. many a coyote have met their maker with one of these.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 PM

Mini 14 are sure good looking rifles but an AR will outshoot one. Check one out, not a bad looking gun niether. http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/w...vms24fvar9.jpg
Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

While i love all the rugers i have . I wouldnt buy either of these 2 you mentioned.

Remember rugers mini 30,s uses a barrel made for american 30 cal(308 dia- not the plentyfull & cheap new& military surplus imported ammo(311 dia.)

Sks,s can be had new& used & for the price of one of thses you could get 2 of them And for for the price of a Ar/colt or something like it 3 & still get some change back
Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

I would 2nd the use of a SKS or AK-47 over the ruger. The Mini's just do not have a great history of accuracy..........unless you are willing to do a lot of modifications on them. For the money, a surplus SKS will get as good or better accuracy than you'll ever get out of a mini.
AR's are great too - but you have to have the $$$ to play with those.

Or better yet, just to punch paper and "play" a bit - the new Beretta CX-4s are a GREAT toy. Accurate out to at least 75yds and they can run though some ammo. And now that the .45 & .40 versions are out to go with the 9mm - the hits keep on coming.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 AM

i'm not sure what Knightia is talking about. but the mini 30 does use the cheap surplus. it uses a 7.62x39mm shell. which is very cheap and easy to find anywhere. it can be found for less than .10 a round anywhere. i am not sure but i think the .308 cal is a 7.62x54. the biggest reason that i have found that the mini's have a bad rep is that everyone wants to shoot tons of cheap shells threw them. i do the same when i want to make some noise or watch the dirt fly. with cheap ammo or shooting fast do not expect much. but they really are not that bad if you find the ammo that the guns likes. mine likes the pmc 55 grain and it shoots them pretty good. i don't have a sks but my brother does and you just never know if it is going to fire or not.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Mini 14 that was made in 1979. I love it to death. Even more than my Bushmaster M4. I just put a scope mount on it not to long ago. I have the quick detach mount with a 3-9 power scope. At 100 yards with cheap Wolff hollowpoints I get 2 inch groups. People have told me that my rifle is the best shooting mini that they have seen. I don't know if maybe they were made different back then or what. I use mine for target shooting plus woodchuck,fox and coyote hunting.

Quick Reply: mini 14 vs. mini 30

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.