Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Nickle Plated Brass >

Nickle Plated Brass

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Nickle Plated Brass

Old 05-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Nickle Plated Brass

AHHH!! 11 below. A crisp Fall day in North Dakota. Last year during the late part of deer seaso it was 20 below when we headed out one morning in South Dakota. I prayed we would not see a deer. We didn't. I field dressed a couple mule deer one morning when it was 13 below with a 20 mile an hour wind. Never again. My hands were hurting so bad I can still feel it if I think about it. It was the last day of Muzzle loader season in South Dakota which runs into Jan. After I got done I got stuck and had to put the chains on the truck to get out. During the climb out one chain came off and got wraped around the axel houseing. I had to crawl under the truck and it took 20 minutes to get it off. I finally got home and walked in the house and the wife said "HI Dear did you have fun hunting?" She didn't ask that question again for several years. Oh the joy of the great outdoors. Oh I don't like nickel brass either.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:49 PM

Never heard of that situation but I do know that nickle cases are a boatload more brittle than brass. Thats why I say ditch the nickle ones and use brass cases.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:08 AM

I absolutely, positively will not reload nickel cases. Shoot them once and go back to brass. Nickel cases seem to do funny things in my sizing dies. Brass for me.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have blackpowder hunted in below zero weather a couple of times...it sucks! But being the "adventurous" soul I am...I figured why not try it?
I used to shovel snow with a tshirt on and as recently as 15 years ago hunted in zero degree weather wearing only a wool shirt and can take the cold as well or better then most . WHen you get on the other side of 50 life takes on a different perspective.

Handloader1, getting back to the topic it had to have been either Federal or Winchester brass. WHen the WSM's first came out I ended up with a lot of nickle plated brass..reloaded it twice or three times(don't remember) and then chucked it.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

OldElkHunter:

I guess it could even have been Remington brass. Now I wished I had asked him. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:29 PM

ORIGINAL: handloader1

OldElkHunter:

I guess it could even have been Remington brass. Now I wished I had asked him. Good luck.

Do that or look at the head of the case and see if it says Remington or R-P (I think)
Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Spike

Nickel-plated brass goes through a resizing die like butter, it also resists corrosion. I have noticed that nickel coated brass does become brittle after a few loadings but I am not afraid of using them as I always Inspect all brass I reload before and after reloading. I have heard the reason of the brittleness is due to chemicals the brass is dipped in before the brass is dipped in nickel during the plating process.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeep4x4:

I didn't buy any handloads from him, or see the loads he was talking about. Next gunshow I will have to ask him. Good luck.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:03 AM

I use rp nickle brass in a 22-250. been through the process with it 4 times. no problems. No neck splits. The last two times I just neck sized it (bump sized) using a rcbs full length die. I'm to cheap to buy a redding neck sizer and bushings. Never a problem. I've reloaded a 338 mag in nickle, the primer pockets felt a tad loose, but otherwise no problems, haven't loaded 338 in regular brass to compare.