Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Mono or Flourocarbon line >

Mono or Flourocarbon line

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Mono or Flourocarbon line

Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mono or Flourocarbon line

Alright.

I need some new line for this year and i am having a hard time deciding on what i want. I need some 4 pound test line for my trout/panfish rod, i need some 6 pound test line for my smallmouth rod, and 10 pound for my largemouth rod. I was looking at Berkely Vanish Flourocarbon for my trout/panfish pole, but what should i get for the rest....i want some strong dependable stuff.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Mono or Flourocarbon line

I have not used the flourocarbon very much except as leader material. I sting almost all of my reels with Fire Line or Power Pro. I do like the Triple Fish camo line as well. I fish mostly Walleyes and Northern.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usally only use flourcarbon as a leader also.... if you want a good strong line i would go with maxima its one of my favorites, or i would suggest some berkley iron silk, it was new out last year and i found it to be awsome its a very low memory line with low stretch.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:43 PM

I use P-Line flourocarbon coated mono on all my reels. Decent price, no memory, strong, tough, pretty invisible...etc
Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fireline is pretty good stuff. I like Just regular Berkley trilene as well.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Stay away from the vanish, a lot of memory and it cast very poor. Have heard a lot of good things about the power pro lines but haven't tried them. If you go to flouro line WET the knots before you tighten them.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:03 PM

I would stay away from VANISH too. I have found it is brittle and fishes poorly. I found that 15 pound test leaders fished like 10 pound test on Salmon. If you want Flouro leaders I would try Seagur. Very strong and invisable.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've switched all my reels to Stren super braid line. I had too many problems with Fireline.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:51 PM

Depends on your fishing situations. Flourocarbon line sinks so it makes it very difficult to bobber fish with. I use it as leader line and stick to mono in most cases. I do have some P-Line spooled up for jigging though and have been impressed so far.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:46 PM

I honestly disagree with about everything that has been said. I've fished with alot of the lines you guys have mentioned, so i feel ok to give my take on it.

Fireline-worst superline. havent tried the new version yet, but it has to be an improvemnt
Stren Superbraid-ok stuff
Power Pro-best superline out there.

Trilene XL-fine for just all around stuff
Trilene XT-i've got alot ofmy reels spooled with this stuff. its got memory, but you can fix that easy. it's tough as nails. with 5 minutes left in the small tourney i was in yesterday, i had no time to retie. my line was frayed on jagged rocks and i had no choice but to fish. landed a 1 lb smallie and a 3lb LM to get us first.
Stren-not near as good as Trilene stuff

P-Line-I found it to have alot of memory. I didn't like how it casted at all. abrasion resistance was about the same as XT.

Vanish-i've been using 8 lb Vanish on a spinning rod all spring. I love the stuff after landing alot of skittish fish. Sure, theres memory. But the fact its invisible and extremely resistant to abrasion negates this. Just make sure you spool it with some tension and the memory won't be too bad. it gets better once you start working with it. Last spring i was using XL. i had plenty of break offs when i fished jagged rocks because of line cuts. I switched to Vanish, fished the same places, same lb. test, and havent had any break offs yet this year. I'd say spool your pan fish and smallmouth rods with Vanish. go up to 8 lbs on your smallie rod though. 10 lb XT for Largemouth. I use 12 lb XT on one cranking rod and one of my all purpose rods. great stuff. The superlines are only for certain situations:horsing fish out of cover, grass, thick stuff, etc..defintely not finesse and i HATE leaders because its just another place your line can break.

slayer

Quick Reply: Mono or Flourocarbon line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.