Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

8 days untill trout

Old 04-08-2005, 07:57 AM

Default 8 days untill trout

8 more days to trout season.... do you think the water hight is going to be bad or what... what type bait do you use
Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 8 days untill trout

no, I think the water will be fine by then. I usually fish small streams and they seem to be the first to clear up after a long rain. As far as baits I usually stick with mealworms and maybe some minnows for the browns with powerbait always on reserve. It really doesn't matter what you use the first week seeing as how most trout will eat anything after being in the stream for a week.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

It really doesn't matter what you use the first week seeing as how most trout will eat anything after being in the stream for a week.
Thats for sure! I've found cigarette butts, pop tops, sticks, stones, and lots of other junk in trouts stomachs in the early weeks.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

We used to go up and fish in Sullivan County every year. Then my in-laws moved down to the Chesapeake. I decided that 30 pound wild stripers were more fun to catch than 8 inch stocked trout.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

i figured "this is probably the best stream around" becuase of all the rain it was so muddy i did and last week i got 2 browns 18inch and a 14inch is call skanetls creek im also in ny goodluck
Old 04-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

It really doesn't matter what you use the first week seeing as how most trout will eat anything after being in the stream for a week.
Thats for sure! I've found cigarette butts, pop tops, sticks, stones, and lots of other junk in trouts stomachs in the early weeks.
Yeah, I've seen it with my own 2 eyes as well. I once threw a piece of pine cone in the water only to see it swallowed immediately by a trout. After cleaning my limit I found all of them to have pine needles in their stomachs. They are so used to eating anything that hits the top of the water in the hatchery that they don't change once they are released.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The worst is when everybody is lined up and nobody is fishing. When you ask why, they say "the stocking truck hasn't gotten here yet". WHAT!!!! You're standing here, in front of a lake with a fishing rod in your hand and you won't even try until the truck gets here?????? Now ice fishermen are a different breed. So are the guys that head out on the ocean in their snow mobile suits because there might be a striper or cod waiting for them. I'll take a native trout stream or the ocean on opening day now. I'm getting to old to fist-fight anyway.