HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Freshwater Fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing-21/)
-   -   Baitcaster rod, 1 piece or 2, how long? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/freshwater-fishing/96150-baitcaster-rod-1-piece-2-how-long.html)

HotRod53 04-02-2005 12:31 PM

Baitcaster rod, 1 piece or 2, how long?

Bass Pro still has the Curado combo with their Extreme XPS rod on sale. I'm thinking the 5.2:1 because my spinning rods are the same ratio, and I'm undecide on the rod type or length. Every rod that I have ever owned was 6'6" and two piece. I'm going with the same unless I get feedback saying not to go with 2 pieces. What do you think? This wil be my first baitcaster and I want to be sure to get the right thing for the money.

Champlain Islander 04-02-2005 04:22 PM

RE: Baitcaster rod, 1 piece or 2, how long?

For baitcasting I like 1 piece in either 6' or 6' 6". Got to make sure your rod locker will accomodate the length though. Spinning rods that I have are all 2 piece.

vc1111 04-03-2005 09:24 PM

I'd buy nothing shorter than 7 foot, one piece because having a two piece rod is just one more weak link. Once you fish with the 7 footer you'll have a hard time trying to use a shorter one...at least thats been my experience. The longer the rod, the more line you move on the hook set.

Carpmaster 04-04-2005 11:03 AM

For baitcasters I buy 7' MH one piece rods for use with jigs and plastics, and one piece 6 footers for crankbaits. I think that for casting a one piece gives you much better strength and sensitivity vs. the two piece rods. My 2 cents.

semi 04-04-2005 01:45 PM

Go with a one piece.. 7' MH... good all around rod that can do what you want it to.

m.t.hands 04-04-2005 08:40 PM

one piece 6'6"-7 MH

Scotty_car 04-04-2005 08:52 PM

I would go with a 7ft MH for a worm and jig 6'6"MH for a Crankbaits

cball 04-07-2005 01:04 PM

The only 2 pc rods I use are 2 travel rods I keep in the truck or car to take on vacation .

Deerslayer_37 04-07-2005 08:03 PM

i say 1 piece 6'6" M. great all around rod. you can use cranks, topwater, jigs, spinnerbaits, all that, and with smaller sizes than a MH. get a 7' MH later when you start building your stuff up. never buy a 2 piece casting rod. i have a 2 piece 6'6" ML spinning rod so i can pack it up when i do alot of travleing with it. but for the most part, 1 piece casting rods are the rule.

slayer

James B 04-12-2005 03:31 PM

The way the newer rods fit together and as sensitive as they are, you can hardly tell the difference in the feel of a one or two piece rod. The 2 piece for me are so much handier to haul and store that I hardly ever buy one piece rods anymore. I still have a few 7 foot one piece rods for throwing big cranks and spoons for Pike. I have never broken a rod at the joint anyway. Just the tips.