Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Fishing Forum > Freshwater Fishing
 Baitcaster rod, 1 piece or 2, how long? >

Baitcaster rod, 1 piece or 2, how long?

Community
Freshwater Fishing Discussion of all aspects of freshwater fishing.

Baitcaster rod, 1 piece or 2, how long?

Old 04-12-2005, 09:33 PM

Default RE: Baitcaster rod, 1 piece or 2, how long?

The way the newer rods fit together and as sensitive as they are, you can hardly tell the difference in the feel of a one or two piece rod. The 2 piece for me are so much handier to haul and store that I hardly ever buy one piece rods anymore. I still have a few 7 foot one piece rods for throwing big cranks and spoons for Pike. I have never broken a rod at the joint anyway. Just the tips.
James< I couldn`t agree with you more..............................Until last year, all I would buy, would be the G-Loomis,St.Croix,or Shimano 1 piece, 6-6, and 7 foot rods.Don`t get me wrong, they are great,BUT.....
............... There are a couple downfalls that go with the one piece,like traveling being the #1, and storage when you arent useing it. You really have to check yourself to see what kind of rod will fit you.
Are you going to keep your rods with you at all times in your car or truck,for hitting that honey hole whenever you want to? You might want a 2 piece......
I found out, no matter how careful you are with the one piece, there is always a situation, that you have no control over, where your buddy makes your 6-6 rod into a 5` rod, closing the door in your truck.[:@]
Just my opinion, but the rest of MY rods are going to be all 2 piece.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:09 AM

i would go with a 1-piece 6'6" M or 7' MH. I just like 1 piece rods for casting much better. I use 2 piece rods for spinning and havent had problems, but i just prefer one piece. You need to consider what you are fishing for/with when buying. If you are catching largemouth with jigs and spinnerbaits, i would go with the 6'6" M. If you are after bigger fish such as stripers, get the 7' MH with more backbone and better hooksets. Its up to you, but i hope this helps
Old 04-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If this is your first baitcasters....I'd go for a 6'6" Medium.

I have a really nice BPS baitcaster rod...but it's a spinnerbait special series....LOVE it! Since I live in Indiana..and the fish don't get huge...I usually get Mediums...and a few MH's incase I go musky or northern fishing.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just bought a new 7 ft 2 piece Ugly Stik light today. This one should throw my Rapalas into the next time zone. I have a couple of Medium Heavy 6'6 bait casters that I keep handy because every puddle up here is full of snot rockets. Devils lake is good for Walleyes and thats what you will catch mostly but you can't keep the Northerns at bay very long.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:05 AM
Dominant Buck

One piece Lightening Rod Medium or mediun heavy action 6' long
Chuck
Old 04-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

All my rods, beside my fenwick pac ultra light are 1 piece. I prefer 7 foots for both spinning and baitcasters. I would suggest a 1 piece 6'6" - 7' in MH action.

As far as storage or travelling I just buy the white PVC pipe and caps found at any hardware store. Then simply use a piece of foam on both ends to take up the slack and when air travel is required I duct tape the cap on. Very cheap but effective storage/travel system and have yet to see one bust on a number of fly out trips. Different sizes available so you can store or transport more than one rod and obviously the reels are off the rods which is much safer for air travel any ways. Absolutely no way to snap or bust a tip when completely encased in hard plastic either!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't get a 7 ft anything in my car.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't get a 7 ft anything in my car.
Well in your case a 2 piece would be better suited when taking the Geo for the day......
Old 04-27-2005, 06:19 AM

I think alot depends if you gonna be fishing on a boat or off shore. The longer the rod is more difficult on a smaller boat to cast and can be a pain if your fishing off shore in brushy areas. I go with a 6ft. works for all types of fishing. One piece rod for sure, I dont care much for the 2 piece IMHO.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the 2 Pc. I bet thats why they make so many of each.